The Official MSI GT62VR Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Talon, Jul 14, 2016.

1. andross77

andross77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Lol oops! I see where you are saying about expanding the info next to memory and it gives a TON of information. All i'm saying is that the "Module Part Number" of "MSI24D4S7S8MB-8" and the "Module Seriel Number" of "3179810478" I can't find online anywhere. I THINK it's just the Kingston ValueRAM 2400mhz DDR4 with CL 17 timing but when I find that module on amazon/newegg/ebay it doesn't match those module or serial numbers. Maybe that's just a custom ID that MSI applied to the ram and doesn't matter though?

2. Derek@TecnotecPC

Derek@TecnotecPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    With the first bit of that being Part Number being MSI it's probably generic RAM made by Kingston specifically for MSI and it's a pretty safebet that valueram will match it pretty closely. You can compare the timings with what you found and double check that if you'd like.

3. andross77

andross77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    what is your opinion on getting one 16gb stick to go along with the two 8gb sticks already in the laptop?

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sure, of course, you could do that but I'd personally prefer to add 2x16Gb. Or, if you're not looking for an extra 32Gb ram I'd go for 2x8Gb. Fill up those slots man!

5. Sitanoni

Sitanoni Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone!

I'm getting to chose a laptop from my company, they told me to pick any laptop and they will get it for me.

So I've decided to go for a 15inch laptop with a GTX 1070 in it, and I need it to use it as a desktop replacement at home and to take it with me everywhere on business meetings every day and on trips etc.

So my picks so far are the GT62VR, the Clevo p650rs-g and the Asus Strix GL502VS.

Basically I like the GT62VR for everything other than it's thickness.
    Clevo for everything other than the backlight bleed and not being as confident in the brand as I am not as familiar with it.
    Asus for everything other than the thermals as I've read they aren't that great.

How portable would you say it is? Would you say the extra thickness makes a big difference? I also see that the power brick is HUGE.
    And why would you reccomend it over the other 2?

Thank you so much!

DukeCLR and hmscott like this.
  6. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's really a personal preference, I have been carrying 17.3 inch laptops around so your tiny 15 inch laptop would be easy for me, also the thickness may not change the size of the bag you intend to use so I would let it stop you.

7. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Clevo and Asus will have similarly-sized power bricks, since they are also powering a 1070 + 6700HQ combo.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. Sitanoni

Reputations:
    Yeah you're right. Only reason I'm choosing a 15 inch is because I'm planning to take it out and put it on tables in cafes and other places etc, and 17 inch laptops just take so much space even though some are really light.

I've actually seen the power bricks on pictures, they're not as big, epsecially the Asus has a relatively small power brick.

Also, would you reccomend going for the more powerful i7-6820HK or do you think the i7-6700HQ is more than enough? I read that the i7-6700HQ can lower the performance of the GTX 1070 slightly.
    And does the 4K screen have a wider color gamut or is it the same as the 1080p version?

9. andross77

andross77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'll be honest and say I never looked at the Clevo option b/c the MSI and ASUS were the ones that were on sale at Microcenter for $1,400 so it was a much better value proposition. Even if money isn't the deciding factor I can say at least between the ASUS and the MSI a few things:

1) Small but the ASUS speakers lie right where your wrists naturally fall in their quirky design so you will often be muffling the sound when not using headphones or a 2nd screen with alternate speakers.
    2) Much more important is the thermals. Over and over I was told the ASUS will throttle and the MSI cooling system is much better. From all my testing on the MSI, my thermals are amazing. CPU has hit 87c one time as a max but 99% of the time seems to max out at 84c (that's playing GTA V on Ultra for an hour with it sitting on my lap which isn't the best for heat dissipation) and the GPU has never gone above 81c. At the end of the day, the coolest laptop becomes terrible if the fans are constantly loud and the cpu/gpu are throttling. Look at all the AW15's and the Razer Blades....they are super cool looking laptops and have many great features but because of their design (razer blade b/c of thinness, not sure what is up with the AW design) they sound like vacuum cleaners if you game and get insanely hot so you can't put them on your lap.
    3) To go along with the thermals, fan noise has been AMAZINGLY quiet. I'm used to a super quiet desktop with noise dampening material in it. And this laptop is whisper quiet, even when gaming. I think that counts for a lot.
    4) Lastly, and this one goes unnoticed very often, the ASUS has a 180w power supply whereas the MSI has a 230w power supply. This is again for gamers, but it's been reported that when you game on the ASUS, the battery will actually drain even while plugged in. That is totally unacceptable. No issue with that on the MSI. I've played COD IW for hours and battery stays high (MSI has a weird thing where it doesn't start charging until it gets to 92% i think. anyways, i'm always randomly checking the battery in the system tray and it says 92% and not charging even though i'm plugged in. i've googled it and supposedly that is in the MSI software to protect the battery's lifespan. no issue, just weird since i'm used to batteries staying at 100%).

So between those two $1,400 laptops it was a pretty easy choice. I'm not buying a laptop that gets insanely hot and throttles and I'm not buying a laptop whose battery drains even while plugged in when gaming. Sorry I can't speak to the Clevo but if you are near a Microcenter and the deal is still on I would recommend the MSI. It's also such a sweet spot for price since the only better GPU is the 1080 and the cheapest laptop with that is double the price ($2,800).

Oh and to speak to the portability, I use it at home and don't really take it with me but I feel like it's easy to get used to. It's obviously no chromebook, ipad, or mac air ultrabook but it's fine. You won't find a 1070 in a smaller screen and I agree that 17" is just too big for a laptop (totally subjective opinion but my opinion :)

keftih and Sitanoni like this.
  10. Sitanoni

Reputations:
    Thank you SO much for the detailed reply! This helped me A LOT!

So, I think I'm basically sold on the MSI. Only a few questions more if you have the time to answer:
    1. If I'm buying it in EU (or better UK), where is the best place to get it from?
    2. Is the 4K screen any better regarding color gamut and other things or is it literally the same panel with higher resolution? (If so, I'd just get the 1080p as 4K is too much, too bad there is no 1440p option)
    3. Is the i7-6820HK worth it? I read in one review that they think the i7-6700HQ isn't letting the 1070 achieve it's full potential (that might not be true though).

Thank you once again!