The Official MSI GT62VR Owners and Discussions Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Talon, Jul 14, 2016.

1. andross77

andross77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Question: is the killer card considered worse than the Intel card? Mine has been working amazingly meaning insane download speeds and the lowest ping on every CS server I've played on. But if the Intel card is better, I'll upgrade that too since they are so cheap.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Those are some of the ideas I'm throwing his way, thanks.

I'm not sure if it's better performance but there seem to be driver issues and I don't know what the heck would cause it form disappearing form device manager. Are you using Killer suite, or just the drivers?

3. andross77

andross77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just use Dragon Center and like the first day i had the computer i went and found the latest killer drivers. installed them and haven't looked back.

hmscott likes this.
  4. ronferri

ronferri Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    when going for the web store purchase from microcenter, they charged me additional ~$120 in taxes on top of the advertised $1,399. Does that depend on the state i am shipping to? Is it the same if I am to pick it up in-store?

5. andross77

andross77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah i'm sure it's based on the state and really the county you are buying it in. Thankfully i am in a 6% tax county so my total was $1,484.99. So looks like whatever county you are in charges 8.5%. To more exactly answer your question i'm not sure if the tax is charged at the store it ships from or where you pick it up. I bought mine in store.

ronferri likes this.
  6. MysticalSheep

MysticalSheep Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey does anybody else got a high pitch noise that is constant when its plugged in and intermittent when its unplugged? I think its coming from where the ssd and hdd are but not sure
    This is my first notebook so im not sure if its normal or not

7. Derek@TecnotecPC

Derek@TecnotecPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Tax is determined by where your personal residence is when shipping directly to you. In the case of buying in store or ship to store, tax is based on the county in which you buy it. This will vary by state and who you buy it from. Using TecnotecPC as an example, we are based in Nebraska and that's where our sales tax certificate is based out of, this enables us to (required to) charge sales tax for any in state purchases. If we had business offices in other states, any state in which we had a physical location we'd be required to have a sales tax certificate and thus charge sales tax for that state. Without a physical location in other states we don't, and can't, charge sales tax and it'd be on the purchaser to claim the purchase on their year end taxes as a result.

DukeCLR likes this.
  8. andross77

andross77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does anyone know of the 2.5 drive is limited to 7mm, 9.5mm or 15mm thickness? I'm guessing it's the most common 9.5 but was hoping it might be the 15 since it's a thick gaming laptop.

9. andross77

andross77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Another question: I kinda asked this before but even with CPU-Z and HW INFO I can't tell EXACTLY what the ram is in the laptop enough to match it up to what's for sale on Amazon/Newegg/eBay etc. I know it's Kingston DDR4 2400mhz with CL 17 timing so maybe that's enough. But my question is, can I buy a 16gb stick to make 32gb total and be fine? I've been reading a lot today and most people seem SUPER AGAINST ever buying an odd number of ram sticks or non-matched pairs.

I don't want to touch the 2 slots that have ram already and are on other side of mobo which would require a massive teardown. So that means i need to leave the 2x8 sticks on that side. And the cheapest deal for 16gb i can find is on eBay for a 1x16gb kingston valueram stick that seems to be exactly what's inside the MSI GT62VR 6RE Dominator Pro already and it's $85. But that means I would have 2x8 in dual channel and a 1x16 in single channel.

I also know that 16gb SHOULD be enough for normal use and gaming but I think I want the extra wiggle room :) Any thoughts? Just a complete waste of money? buying 1 stick is fine? only buy 2x8gb sticks to fill those last two slots?

10. Derek@TecnotecPC

Derek@TecnotecPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    HWInfo will give you the info. When it first launches there are two windows that pop up, the one in the foreground will be the system summary and the one in the background will be the full application. Go ahead and close the summary and click the + next to memory to expand it out. That'll give you a stick by stick breakdown of what's installed, or at least should. You'll be looking for module manufacturer and also part number.

I pulled up my HWinfo to verify all this and actually found one of my sticks have been knocked loose and I've been running on 4gb for a few weeks without realizing. So thanks for giving me a reason to launch this :)