The Official MSI GT60 & GT70 Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by ViciousXUSMC, Apr 23, 2012.

1. 1shado1

1shado1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    dale350zman, sorry for the intrusion. But I have a question about your GT70. I see a "17" AUO V.4 90% NTSC Glossy Screen" listed. May I ask if that is the stock display, or aftermarket?

2. ColinMacLaren

ColinMacLaren Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I bought a used Medion Erazer X7820 which is based on a GT70 barebone. It came with a GT70 bios installed.

Bios: E1762IMS.71X
    EC: 1762EMS1 Ver.5.06

However, there was a weird issue with the keyboard. Most keys were working fine, but some keys registered double inputs, e.g. when pressing "n" it actually registered "yn" ans so on.

So I was going for a workaround with Steelseries software macros. I installed Steelseries 2.8 and force-installed the Steelseries driver via Windows device manager. Suddenly the backlighting turned on and the doulb einputs were gone, but now some other keys were'nt working at all.

So I presumed there was some firmware issue and tried updating the bios.

I flashed a GT70 2D0 bios, with afudos /GAN only to realize that this was a mistake. Now the laptop turns on, I only see a black screen and the fans keep spinning, alternating between loud and very loud every couple minutes.

I removed all SATA-drives except the DVD-drive and tried blind flashing with both an USB stick and a CD with the original Medion and GT70 0NC bioses using CRTL + HOME method. .

How do I fix this unit?

Will a CH341A USB programmer with a SOIC8 IC Test Clip suffice or do I have to resolder a new bios chip?

Are there any other ways of blind flashing that I am missing?

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The Medion systems are running off barebone therefore they don't use channel BIOS but OEM BIOS. Previous owner had flashed to the wrong BIOS & EC which caused abnormal behavior with the system. Try the programmer with test clip and see if you can flash it directly, if not then you will have to desolder it, reprogram it, and resolder it.

4. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    Thanks. I will try the test clip this weekend. Do you have any idea where to find the medion ec firmware? I only found the bios.

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Barebone & BIOS typically have names like IG6 instead of IMS.

Ultra Male likes this.
  6. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    Since I have to replace the keyboard anyway do you have the part number of the Steelseries enabled keyboard?

7. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    Directly flashing the original vendor bios with an USB programmer and a test clip revived the laptop, as expected. Some keyboard keys are still not respnding, though and I am still not able to find the Medion EX firmware.

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Contact Medion for the EC firmware.

9. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    I bought a new keyboard, which is working fine, even with Steelseries Engine 2.9.

However, with a Medion bios the HD4000 has an exclamation mark in device manager due to a ressource error. With E1762IMS.71X both GPUs are detected fine.
    - E1762IMS.71X is the latest GT70 0NC I was able to find on the web.

With E1762IMS.71X and latest MEdion ec Firmware I have two issues:

- While both GPUs show no error in the device manger I cannot get any game to use the GTX970m for rendering. The HD4000 is always being used.
    - I can only use IDE Mode. Using AHCI or RAID Mode results in several blue screens during Windows booting procedure. I can skip them with F8 -> 9 and sometimes Windows loads fine, sometimes I run into a CRICIAL_PROCESS_DIED error. Falling back to IDE is working fine.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  10. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    OK, Svet provided me with a modified bios.

It ran fine for 5 minutes, but after that the laptop turned off. The PSU died on me. It doesn't evne turn on on battery, though. If I remove the GTX970m, then the laaptop will boot just fine on battery power only.