The Official MSI GT60 & GT70 Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by ViciousXUSMC, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry0o8

Jerry0o8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As of right now, I have no way of updating the bios. Kevin, my bios settings' advanced tab does not have UEFI Bios or In-BIOS updater. I still have to turn on Throttlestop to stop the gpu/cpu lag. I am also having GPU and CPU heat issues. I have tried both Heatsink (one with the bridge and one without the bridge). Both heatsink's layout matches exactly the gtx 780m layout. With both heatsink, I get about 93 degrees with Far Cry 4 so the new bridged heatsink doesn't cool better. I run ultra settings. Game shuts off and computer freezes when I reach 93 Degrees. I paste the thermal pads and thermal paste on correctly. Anyone know the issue? My CPU reaches about 78-80 degrees as well when playing FC4. Can anyone confirm with me their temperatures using a gtx 780m on Ultra with FC4?

2. thejager

thejager Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i read somewhere that a K5100m could work in this... anyone have any info on this?

3. rsmith

rsmith Newbie

Reputations:
    I had my DC jack in my GT60 go bad... again. I pulled the whole thing apart to see if it was a simple soldering fix, but it looks like it's something internal on the board. Do any of you recommend a particular place to get this done? My computer is still in pieces on my desk...

4. Jerry0o8

Reputations:
    update** Now my gtx 780m crashes when it hits 82 degrees for Dying Light and Furmark stress testing. It always freezes at 82 degrees. Did multiple tests. BUT when i play Far Cry 4, my gpu hits up to 87 degrees and it runs fine, no crashes no nothing. Any help here?

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Have you checked your VRMs are making good contact with the heatsink? Are you running stock clocks? Have you tried lowering them slightly to see if there is an impact?

6. Jerry0o8

Reputations:
    Update**

Okay I am able to update my bios to latest 50x. That didn't help with the BD PROCHOT throttle issue. I am thinking I need to do a vbios update on my gtx 780m? I repasted both my CPU and GPU with IC DIAMOND thermal paste and my temps has drastically lowered and are stable. my GPU gets to about 80 degrees max now while gaming max settings with turbo fan and cooling pad. My CPU gets to 65ish only now, so no more CPU heat spikes. The problem now is, whenever I do not turn on my turbo fan and the gpu temps reaches 82 degrees or more for a few minutes, my computer freezes. If my temperature stays at 80 or below, it will never freeze. Any help here? Keep in mind, my laptop is the MSI GT60 0nd with original gpu gtx 675m. I upgraded to the gtx 780m. I also notice my FAN does not speed up accordingly to gpu temps rising up. My temps can hit 60-70-80 degrees and my fan will only turn up a little bit compared to my msi with the gtx 675m, where as the fan speed kicks in already at 60-70-80 degrees and I can hear the fan well.

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Have you done driver update? See below link.
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/81941/en-uk

8. williclarkam

williclarkam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

Guys does the capacity of the SSD/HDD matters? e.g. Can I install a 1 TB SSD or 2 TB HDD?

Thanks a lot.

9. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Capacity won't be the issue but the thickness will. Some drives can be 12.7mm vs 9.5mm vs 7mm. You'll want to stick with the 9.5 and 7mm drives. Some 12.7mm can be installed into Optical bay using caddy

williclarkam likes this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The good news is that there are 1TB SSDs and 2TB HDDs in the right form factor, larger HDDs (if they exist) will be taller, and some old 2TB drives are tall as well. SSDs over 1TB are still pretty exotic and will cost you an arm and a leg.

williclarkam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.