The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Darkomax

Darkomax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess a GTX 980m would also work, cool.

REXSTORZ => I find your GPU-Z funny because I use the same frequencies on my vbios (true stock is 615/700)
    425.png

2. REXSTORZ

REXSTORZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Throw please bios, vBios and changes that you made in the GPU?
    I will be very grateful, and I will upgrade the laptop from a friend GT70 gtx 780m ?

3. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes 980m, should also work no problem and will require the same mod to the heatsink.

I didn't make any changes to my system bios, or to the vBios of the GPU. My system config was not changed in anyway, and my BIOS, vBios, and EC version for installation are all listed on my first post.

The GPU was plug and play and only required a driver with a modified INF to install. The drivers can be obtained at LaptopVideo2Go

LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers -- Get the device ID by going to device manager, the video card, properties, details, select Hardware Ids from drop down menu, fill in the information on the website and hit search. This will find you a driver, and create a file which must be placed into the nVidia driver installation folder. Then disable digital driver signing (google this). Reboot. Then go the the driver installation folder again and run the setup as admin. Done.

Goodluck.

4. REXSTORZ

Reputations:
    Throw please GPU-Z screen and the screen of the device manager vendor card? please

5. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I will update the original post with both GPUZ and Device ID screenshots later this evening when I return home. I should have probably lrovided those screen shots originally.

I am also in the process of creating gaming videos of the 970m as a search on YouTube shows a lack of actual in game performance.

6. omega939

omega939 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Talon

can you show a video or the cutting tool for dremel u used for your heatsink? this is my first time to be modding a 880m heatsink and the heatsink that I ordered should be arriving soon.... I don't know yet the cutting tool u attached to the dremel (drill bit, rotary etc?) though can you do a guide or video ? Thanks.. Next up is the card :)

7. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Omega this is the rotary tool I purchased a few years ago and works great for heatsink mods. I usually just use the disc shaped tool for grinding down the areas I need. I think its more of a cutting disc, but for me works pretty well for grinding down evenly. Steady hands and eye coordination are sort of necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...71877&sr=8-2&keywords=black+and+decker+dremel

This one comes with the tools necessary for the job.

Also original post has been updated with screen shots of GPU-Z, and device manager.

8. REXSTORZ

Reputations:
    thank you but the picture CPU-I am very hard to see rates
    and by the way I understand you have a Vbios on a laptop right now, from the cool, and the modified wood
    required to operate the laptop?)

9. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    All I got from that is that the picture is slightly blurry. I'll and attach it different for a higher reso photo.

I have no idea what you said after that. Sorry.

10. REXSTORZ

Reputations:
    Say if vbios flash from MSi can not download the driver changes
    and the usual download from the official site?)))