The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. AlltooGrim

AlltooGrim Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm also interested if you had to modify drivers, VBIOS, or EC when upgrading from a 980M. I did the 980 upgrade a few years ago, and I'm thinking the price is about right for a 1070 now. Also curious if you had to upgrade the power brick since you are drawing about 30W more than stock.

A trick Svet taught me back then was that because I bought the 1617 hardware version of the 980m, I have to go into a .inf file in the drivers and modify the 13D7 name whenever I want to update the NVIDIA drivers. No amount of VBIOS flashing would work back then.

2. mordaur

mordaur Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it actually wortwhile to upgrade the 180w power brick, to lets say a 240w? From what i've read the EC, and the 'NOS' technology is limited to 180w, + 50w from the battery aslong as it can sustain it.
    I've asked if there is a EC mod, in the MSI forum, but no reply...

3. AlltooGrim

AlltooGrim Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not really sure. I found a few conversations about options for upgrading, but I am not sure if they had NOS or not. I am going to give it a try in 2-3 months if I am able to upgrade to a 1070. With the 980m now, I am draining a bit of battery when plugged in.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/2070-220-watts-ac-adapter-for-msi-gt6070/&
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3329-upgrading-psu-for-gt60gt70-few-questions/

4. GamingMcr

GamingMcr Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi my msi gt70 0nd with nvidia gtx 675mx gpu from 6 years ago or more may be gone as it causes freezes and BSODs with errors in nvidia.

I came to this site to look for solution as I'm now downgraded to using my intel hd 4k.. to have it running at all.

It would be ideal to replace with if not same card, at least some upgraded that may not require flashing bios or other. I do not seek latest possible card as they r expensive but 680M or maybe much better yet not latest at reasonable price.

Where do I get it, which one, in first place is it sold across continents (europe) and how much? I got the lap from US so parts may be there.

How installation works , just replace card or needs glues n things I've not made such?

5. coldyrs

coldyrs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have one gtx 680m send me email to talk about if you want. acsleal26@hotmail.com

6. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only up to 7.xx series works without flashind afaik.

7. Ryan Russ

Ryan Russ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would check out the m6100 firepro. Can be had for 35$ or so, and usually works as a drop in upgrade due to being seen as a 8950.

8. GamingMcr

GamingMcr Newbie

Reputations:
    Thx but used cards that are near dead is not an alternative but smth to last few more years. I'd try also to make bigger upgrade this looks too close in performance.

9. GamingMcr

GamingMcr Newbie

Reputations:
    https://www.amazon.com/FirePro-M6100/s?k=FirePro+M6100

This is compatible with my model? Why is it sold cheap and my gpu is 2x2 GB i.e 4gb , is this firepro just 2gb?

What nvidia card can it be compared with in being similar performance? Does it require bios change like some mod?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  10. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's just a bit faster than 680M.