The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Kamran1918

Kamran1918 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, i have recently tried to upgrade my gtx 680m ( GT70 0NE) to gtx 980m. I cross flashed my bios to x71. then did the heatsink mod and swithced the cards. However, it boots normally, and at first didnt recoganize the card, after i updated the driver from the device manager, windows recognizance the gtx980m. However, when i try to install the most recent Nvidia Driver, it says the windows version is not compatible or the graphics card was not found. What could cause this problem?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I suppose you need a modified inf into your driver. And install using Disable driver signature enforcement.

3. Kamran1918

Kamran1918 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, where i can get his modified inf ?

4. WarRaven

WarRaven Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, fantastic work keeping these old girls going, kudos to you all.

Hopefully I can figure out whats wrong with mine with help from you all.

I have a MSI GT70 ONC, 1762 I7 3610qm came with a gtx670m or mx I believe.(os came with win7)(had bios 10u) Well few years back that video card died one day playing a game. Only solution i found was to remove card, but after a few minutes the fan would go full tilt.
    I came to conclusion the card died and without a replacement, the bios would not allow normal operation. ( I know it can be fixed now by asking a gentleman named svet I believe, but did n't know that til recently)
    I tried to live with it, even upgraded windows hoping it might help fan but nothing, i get why now. So my os had no memory of a nvidia card in system at this point as I reinstalled windows a few times.

Anyhow, I found this thread an managed to scrape enough cash to order a gtx970m 6gb an bring it in. I realize my heat sink is not compatable fully anyways. Though I did manage to cover most chips an bring the outside ones that didn't match up reasonably close an used thermal pads to bridge them temporarily until I was sure it was all working at least.

So through reading couple hundred pages here, an some at MSI and Tech, I'm now asking for help.
    One thing I want to add is, after removing original video card, the laptop would boot up, light would be white but as windows started loading, it would turn orange even though there was no dgpu installed. No errors or anything, laptop was all ok except for no dgpu, an fan would go at full blast. If I reinstalled original video card, it wouldn't post or even flicker a light, when I removed it, normal laptop operation outside of power button turning orange would resume once up an running.

SO I really thought ok np, order a video card. I do and seller puts tested working sticker on it dated just before sending.
    I kind of believe it is and will explain in round a about way but is not showing at all anywhere in device manager or hwinfo.

Tried installing new gtx970m using 10u bios, no recognition of card upon booting, but the laptop would boot an run with card installed where it wouldn't at all with original. This gave me hope, the light behaved as it would before without any video card, white on start up but once windows started loading, orange.

So, i referenced this thread, find that most have success with the 1762.51x an t24 ec.
    I install both from a bootable dos drive, no problem.. though still nothing in device manager under video adapters, just the intel.

I have tried flashing a couple bios, accidentally installed the gt60 ones an had no issue, but no success either. I flashed the 1762.51x back and this is where I'm at. I've reset bios, pulled cmos power an left it. tried with card, without. just not recognized. I have a couple hard drives each with different Os trying to find a working one that'll least show me the way and card is not visible in win7 or win10.

I don't see anything physically wrong with laptop motherboard, it runs fine as long as original card is not installed.
    It runs ok with or without gtx970m installed on any bios an ec I have tried, it just does not show me anything to work with in device manager.

Sorry this is so long winded, I'm desperately trying to resurrect this old girl but thinking I wasted a few hundred an on the video card an my time spent, ugh lol.

5. mr007rm

mr007rm Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Pre-restart, disable driver signature requirement (7 or F7)
    https://premamod.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/j95-nvidia-inf/ (old finished works)
    Weak English ...... someone will come and help.

Pl:
    (For example, this was the case with me.)

cmd from administrator
    type bcdedit -set testsigning on
    restart
    unpack driver, find nvmii.inf, open with notepad
    use cntrl+h, replace 1617 with 1618, replace all
    after replace PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_11311462
    with PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1617&SUBSYS_11401462
    save in new folder and copy back and replace
    run setup, install , confirm
    run cmd from admin
    type bcdedit -set testsigning off
    restart
    enjoy!!

6. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. Kamran1918

Kamran1918 Newbie

Reputations:
    hii thanks for the help, do you think the update in orginal post where the op "UPDATE 1/15/2015: I previously reported that after updating my system BIOS to MSI latest version on website and the 970m to MSI vBIOS allowed me to install the card without any need for modded drivers"

do you think this will help me? i wont need the modded inf files?

8. Kamran1918

Kamran1918 Newbie

Reputations:
  9. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You will always need to use nodded drivers because your laptop model never used that gpu model officially so you need to mod the drivers.

10. mr007rm

mr007rm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is new to me.
    (https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/245-geforce-r445-series/)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020