The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. dempixels

dempixels Newbie

Reputations:
    making a backup of the Vbios makes a lot of sense really. But do you think the upgrade would go well on this one? since this one in specific does not support optimus.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    You may have to dig further on the forum for the discussion that some members had done in the past. Can't say how it would turn out when you do it now. If you check with Svet at MSI forum perhaps he can provide assistance that would help you to get what you want to do done with none to little risks.

3. dempixels

dempixels Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright, i'll have to see if I should do this or just replace the dying GTX560M with... another GTX560M :p

Thanks for the help. If I am gonna do this mod, i'll definitely return. But before I have all the material required, it would probably take a few months.

4. dempixels

dempixels Newbie

Reputations:
    after some research, I have figured out it should pretty much 100% work on the GT683R (MS-16F2) There are people that have done this with the 17,3 inch model (GT780DX, MS-1761) and confirm that it is working wonderfully, so I am leaning more towards the straight upgrade to the GTX970M. I am still gonna cautious about the Vbios flash when I am gonna do this. (it's gonna take a few months before I can even start buying the GPU though... :()

here are some sources:
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...si-16f2-highest-possible-gpu-any-pascal-card/
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8272-gt780dx-and-upgrade-to-the-gtx-9xxm/
    https://forum-de.msi.com/index.php/topic,107088.0.html (you should translate the page, it is in german)

alrighty then, I am off to bed. see ya.

5. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As even GT70 0xx (MS-1762) series needed modified Vbios E1762IMS.51X or 71X to work with GTX9xx series I suppose you need to flash too.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  6. dempixels

dempixels Newbie

Reputations:
    I am not sure, the GT70 series run on the 3rd gen, I am certain this Bios flash won't work. So far, people who have a GT683R with the GTX970, have only modified the heatsink and installed the GPU (and flashed it's Vbios)

7. zipperi

Reputations:
  8. dempixels

dempixels Newbie

Reputations:
    I have already searched here before, unfortunately no one even tried it before the thread got locked. Only one person merely suggested it, he refers to this post I think. quoting it here under:

"Hi,

I upgraded to a 7970m a couple of years ago, it worked fine but now I'm getting vertical lines crash and the card may be dead.

I'm considering upgrading to a 970m or 980m as it looks possible according to the 970m-980m upgrade thread.

Has anybody tried that on this 16f2 and which heatsink did you use?

Thanks"

9. REXSTORZ

REXSTORZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi
    Help with the problem??
    MSI GT-70 ONC

Installed i7-3840QM + 980M
    Bios 51X vBIOS Version 84.04.22.00.0A
    Driver Nvidia Version Official 449.59

Faced a problem, not all games start from 980m.
    Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Overwatch are determined and work with 980m.
    The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt and World of Tanks work only Intel HD4000(
    3Dmark work only Intel HD4000(

Tell me where to download the new modifiable drivers for 980m?

10. zipperi

Reputations:
    Have you forced individually those exes that start on HD4000 to use Nvidia? On Nvidia Control Panel, 3D settings?