The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's awesome!! Show us some pix on the part that you did the work. :)

2. DragoVII

DragoVII Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    The previous owner is a madman... look at all those thermal grease.. i reapplied a thin layer after this picture haha. Also, I've noticed this MSI 970m has an extra inductor chip? Lower right.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Wow, look at that, lol.

4. DragoVII

DragoVII Newbie

Reputations:
    Hahaha.. well it was done by a guy in a phone repair shop.. I said just get it done, doesn't matter if it looks like crap. :rolleyes::D

5. Daniel M

Daniel M Newbie

Reputations:
    Having located a reasonably priced 980M, and using a local repair shop to get it in properly, I now have a display again on my GT70! But...

The shop got my system functioning...with driver version 388.13. Obviously I want to get running on the latest (441.66 at the moment) - but the setup isn't recognizing the card. My PCI string is:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05AB1462&REV_A1

Is there a way of getting the "raw" nVidia drivers to work? Or a copy of modded drivers available?

Otherwise I think I understand how to mod the .inf file (nvmii.inf) - but is there a way of determining which "section" should be used besides trial-reboot-hope-it-doesn't-lockup?

6. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think this is the latest from laptopvideo2go.com with a modified inf (lags a bit behind) (Win10/64) https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/33161-geforce-44112-mobile-oem-game-ready/ You have to Disable driver signing enforcement. Or adjust your inf finding PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7 and remove all subsys info after that string on all lines where it occurs. Again Disable driver signing enforcement needed during install.

7. Daniel M

Daniel M Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you! I was able to mod 441.66 - and after a typical install/reinstall/DDU/install cycle, including playing with Intel drivers as well - I've got a working system again!

8. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Glad it worked!

9. Fireoil

Fireoil Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. happy new year to everyone !

i’m a long time follower of this post , owner of a Msi GT 60 2 OD since 2013 ( strangely, the latest bios said GT 60 2 OC ) but didn’t seeked to upgrade, well, until my dGPU died few months ago. I attempted to revive it with heatgun, it getting worse.

short story my fan are now running at 100% all the time after 30 sec boot up. The loved and missed 780M gone to trash ( all that memories, first time all high setting in Crysis, all that Lol Lan party, damn i felt attached to this piece of magique but fragile device ) Before trying that there was simply a warning on the gpu , letting the dGPU in, the fan was working properly with the cpu and intel hd 4600.

i’m wonder if in 2020 it’s not throwing money out of the windows to buy a Gtx 970m or gtx 980m with all that Ryzen budget build for double the price, around 500€ you can have a great budget gaming desktop upgradable...
    i’m wonder if recycle the ssd’s msata from my msi gt to build a dekstop tower is not a better move. Also have a lot of PS4 game right now on the go...

Still i want to know if your gpu’s are still working in 2020 with the latest w10 update for the gtx 970m, gtx 980m and even a gtx 1060m. I like my Msi and i’m kinda guy repair before throwing away.
    Also i loose the hdmi output, any idea of force it through the Intel HD graphic 4600 ?

thank you

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  10. Fireoil

Fireoil Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, i tried to ask a modder, about a post i saw on a french forum. Find "Klem" on techinferno forum and send him a message about that, and, for a donation, he did made me a dislocked BIOS allow me to shut off the 100% fan ( and keep adaptative fan for integrated graphics ) So cool to have peace again and my MSI GT 60 is just now a bulky computer with Intel HD 4600 :D