The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ThomasTN98

ThomasTN98 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. Thanks for the reply!

So I have attached a few pictures in the following Google drive link that I hope serves well for the information needed. I also attached a picture of my existing bios just in case im missing something that's right in my face.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-0Mjct4ok890pxNQWANafoe0a41sPspo

Thanks in advance!

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Looks like the retail BIOS would work, but you cannot update the EC firmware using retail version.

3. ThomasTN98

ThomasTN98 Newbie

Reputations:
    So, does that mean I'm sorta at a brick wall? I did buy another 980M, this time a Clevo version just to be sure. I can return both if I have to stick with a 680M

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Not really, you can flash BIOS but don't flash EC firmware. Or if you need a personalized support you can chat with Svet at MSI forum and see if he can get it going for you.

5. ThomasTN98

ThomasTN98 Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright, sweet! At least from what I'm getting.

So, is this as simple as going to the MS-1762/GT70 support page and downloading the latest BIOS and flashing it? I saw there was some sort of modded BIOS on the first page of this thread, but the file is no longer available.
    Sorry if I'm asking too much or sound a little noobish. I just really want to get this laptop maxed out. I've never had a laptop like this in my life and it would mean a lot to get it working properly.

Another thing. Should I wait until I get the Clevo MXM card before doing this? Right now I'm still using the MSI card, but the Clevo one I bought is on its way and may arrive this week.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    If you want, please check with Svet at MSI forum and see how much he can do for you as far as reaching your objectives go.

7. panamaniacs2011

panamaniacs2011 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hello !! (laptop specs on my sig)

i got a clevo gtx 980m (i think is clevo because it has the blue pcb) however it was pre flashed with some msi vbios , i tried to install drivers but i got error , so i used the modded optimus inf files from perma website and now is working perfect , however i would like this card to be plug and play , so i contacted the seller and asked for a plug and play vbios for the gt60 , he sent the vbios yesterday i flashed the card and the drivers installed without any modification but the problem now is when i play a game it uses intel graphics instead of the gtx 980m so i went to nvidia control panel and selected the gtx 980m as default graphics processor and still had the same problem , anyone of you guys had this issue ? if i have to go into windws graphics settings and select the nvidia gpu for each app to fix this (which i havent tried) i rather prefer rolling back to previous vbios and use modded inf files my OS is windows 10 1809 build, my lapot bios is ms16f4ims.50v the msi vbios which installs without modding is MSI-980m_8GB_84.04.22.00.0A i was trying to install 436.30 drivers

8. Danno31

Danno31 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a question about the bios of my Gt 70 after remplacement motherboard
    I have the bios version E1763IMS.50T
    to update my bios version E1763IMS.51D am I obliged to go through the bios version E1763IMS.50V before?

And my firmware 1763EMS1 ver 7.13 i'm update directly 1763EMS1 ver 7.17

before upgrade to 970m

[​IMG]

9. raalph321

raalph321 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could someone upload firmware MS-1762 ec t.24??

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Hello, please email me directly to obtain the file at kevin@gentechpc.com. :)

raalph321 likes this.