The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. KommandantKavu

KommandantKavu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Edit, I'm probably looking for the other upgrade thread, but, eh.

-- moved to the other thread.

2. Rusvon

Rusvon Newbie

Reputations:
    hi friends, I have an msi gt680 laptop. i'm want to upgrade gpu. my graphics card gtx460m. I want to upgrade to Gtx970m. I want to change gpu bios. I want to use the Nibitor program, but it doesn't support new gpus. How do I change Vbios?

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    For such project, best to check with Svet directly so he can better assist you. :)

4. prodj

prodj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a way to completely disable integrated intel gpu and run displays always from Nvidia 980m?

5. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you have Optimus the output is probably routed thru Intel (at least on my old GT70 0NE) - so it's impossible.

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    The 0NE model doesn't have the demux option available so that's why it's impossible. :)

7. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But didn't the demux come not until with GT72 or GT73. He's asking about GT60 0ND + 980M afaik.

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Right, I was concurring on your statement with Optimus on this model, thanks. :)

9. ThomasTN98

ThomasTN98 Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright so I may be a little late to the party, but I have several questions and this seems to be the only spot I can get them answered.
    To start out with, my work gave me a laptop (Maingear GT70) which is just a rebranded MSI laptop, it's an MS-1762 and it has basically all MSI parts. Only difference is the Maingear logo slapped on the bezel and what not. Aside from that, it has an i7 3840QM, 32gb ddr3, 1x 256gb ssd, 1tb HDD. It did have a GTX 680M 4gb in it, but it was dead so I removed it and upgraded it to a GTX 980M, or shall I say, "upgraded" as it's not working. The card seems to be fine, device manager picks it up, drivers install (sorta) but there's several problems going on with it.
    So when I have both the Intel HD 4000 and GTX 980M enabled, windows will freeze upon booting. I'm on Windows 10 Pro 1803 64 bit if that means anything. I did try with other versions such as the latest and 170x. Anyway, it just freezes/hardlocks and I have to shut it down by holding the power button. But when I have the Intel enabled and 980M disabled, it boots just fine, but the Intel graphics still fail to enable. It throws a code 12 which is "the device couldn't have enough resources" or something like that. Which that's what originally made me disable one another, but that persists.
    Now I see that Clevo GPUs were tested in this, but the one I got is actually from a GT70 according to the eBay listing and model no. I can attach pics upon request.

But my real question is, would it brick this laptop if I flashed the modded BIOS? It may be a Maingear laptop, but it's using all MSI parts. As of now, I have no switchable graphics options and I can't even use the Intel graphics with the 980M disabled.
    So far I've spent about 16 hours on this and I've gotten nowhere. If there's anything anyone can do to help, please let me know.

Thanks!

10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Can you provide the existing BIOS version that you have? MSI had both retail and barebone versions of BIOS/EC firmware and they can't be cross-flashed as that sometimes can brick the system.
    Please also provide the details on the card that you had purchased so we can see, thanks.