The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
    Sounds like your issue could be power related, if its using Hybrid power and its shutting off without warning that's saying its shutting down because its not able to safely get the power it needs.
    Which would mean either the PSU or Battery is no longer able to deliver the required power for that card.

2. Txordi

Txordi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi. I have a GT70 2PE upgraded with a GTX 980M. I was playing a game when suddenly it froze down. Then I rebooted and the computer was extremely laggy and every light graphic load made the computer to freeze and a blue screen to appear. I suspected that my graphics card passed away. To double-check it I opened Ubuntu and it freezed again under any light graphical load. I then forced PRIME to render only with the integrated Intel card and, as I guessed, the computer was perfectly stable. So the issue was clearly on the NVIDIA dedicated card.

I pulled the 980m off from my computer (thankfully it is a MXM card). It looks like at least a capacitor has melted down. I upload here some photos from the card as well as a video where you can check the damage and the model and layout of the card.

In the front view you can see what it seems like a capacitor melted down and a scorched small pcb area in the top left:
    [​IMG]

Also, in the rear part of the graphics card there are two slightly scorched capacitors and some kind of port (PAD 4) slightly melted down. It is in the bottom left of the image:
    [​IMG]

Concerning this issue, I have several questions:
    1) Is there any way to fix the card without replacing it by a new one?
    2) If not, what replacement do you recommend me?
    3) I know a 1060 is the most powerful replacement (not sure if anybody managed to get a 1070 working in a GT60/70...), but can I use the same heatsink I have for the 980m with a 1060?

Thanks a lot guys.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  3. adriano_banano

adriano_banano Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi everyone.

Bumping cause I have the same question than Txordi.

Txordi likes this.
  4. clardav

clardav Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. I recently bought a 980m on ebay.
    61 dollars in an auction! I want to update my GT60 2QD Dominator equipped with a 970m.

My BIOS is E16F4IMS.116. I do not know which one to choose because mine does not appear in the instructions.

In addition, the date of the BIOS coincides with the date of the launch of the 9XXM series. Probably my BIOS was launched to support these graphics cards, but im not sure.

Does anyone know what bios should I download? I dont want to brick my laptop!

Thanks for this awesome thread.

5. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you already have a 970m its just plug and play/swap the cards.

clardav likes this.
  6. prodj

prodj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone have link to latest modded drivers for 980M?

7. prodj

prodj Notebook Consultant

Reputations: