The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    You should be able to use those still since they are stored in a closed container, but please do not mix them when applying.

2. prodj

prodj Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    LOL, somebody does that?)

So, I changed 3630qm to 3840qm, had to change multiplier from default to 38 in BIOS.
    Run Cinebench, everything seems to work fine, BUT 3dMark says "system information is not available", but it was available just now with old CPU.
    Reinstall doesn't help.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. micax

micax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there any way to to run gtx570m on GT70? my friend just burned his 670mx and I have an extra gtx570m... However, we tried it with no device manager detection... Any Solution?
    Thanks!

4. santathe1

santathe1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Have you installed the Nvidia drivers? If yes and that didn't work, you can try modding the drivers.

5. micax

micax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well yes I tried nvidia drivers, the problem is that device manager have no GPU devices listed except intel. Trying to reinstall drivers always says no compatible hardware.

6. Urchin263

Urchin263 Newbie

Reputations:
    So I've got the 970 installed just fine, thanks in large part to Svet.

I ran the "Firestrike" test, what sort of numbers should I be looking at for an i7-3630QM with a 970m?

The "graphics" score was 7429, the "physics" score was 8366, and the "combined" score was 2754.

7. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  8. santathe1

santathe1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Then you can try the driver mod route. Beware, if you do that and something bad happens to your laptop/GPU/CPU/room/house/neighbourhood, it's your responsibility.

9. Gamos

Gamos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    del

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  10. Striph

Striph Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my 980M GTX installed, nice fast seller from Ebay, they asked what Laptop it was for, I told them MSI GT70 and it came in a static bag with an MSI sticker on it. Svet got me setup with a custom bios, got that flashed. Windows sees the card and installed drivers just fine. I am seeing an issue to where I can't use the "Turbo" pad on the keyboard anymore and the graphics card is extremely slow, seeing ~24fps in Diablo 3 when I had >50fps with my 680M GTX. I also ran 3dMark Firestrike and got a low score of 5300, average appears to be >9000 from what I could see.

I pulled down a copy of GPU-Z and checked the card, it shows MSI for the brand and the revision of the bios is 84.04.22.00.12, saw a few posts saying MSI Vbios can be problematic, and to change it to a Clevo? I read somewhere that maybe the Optimus isn't switching over to the Nvidia card even though the power button is orange? Also my EC still shows the old version from before flashing so I'm not sure if thats normal. I'm waiting to hear back from Svet atm, but thought I'd post here to see if anyone dealt with something similar.

*Edit* Read that some cards that are G-Sync enabled won't work? Can anyone tell from this card if that's the case?

https://imgur.com/a/37mcRhS

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018