The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The official driver contains certificate/license to allow SBC software to see and activate, when it's absent then the software would fail to activate.

What about EC firmware? Is it updated? Can you check it under System Information under BIOS setup?

2. tmn007

tmn007 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just checked: 16F3EMS1.T18

i've used DDU and reinstall moded drivers and still nothing. Orange led light and cannot switch to nvidia GPU..

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    T18 is the latest version.

4. Striph

Striph Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First thing is this thread is awesome, the amount of work and help people are doing is amazing! I haven't been on the forums in years but found this and thought I might revive my GT70-0NE with a bad 680M card in it. I have spent a few hours reading and I think I'm at the point to where I might be ready to buy a 980M card and breath some new life into this guy! I've found a bunch of listings for some GeForce GTX 980M N16E-GX-A1 8GB GDDR5 MXM cards on Ebay for ~400-500. Is this the right thing to pick up? The Clevo one in the original thread listing is upwards of $900 bucks.

I have the GT70-0NE with the SuperSSD Raid 0 setup currently, so I think I need the .71X bios? Is there a public bios/ec available or do I need to go to the MSI thread and Donate to Sven and have him create me a set?

Once I have that bios and ec loaded it sounds like I also need to flash the bios on the Video Card as well to get the Nvidia installer to recognize it, or can I just modify the INF files to match the VID for the card and use it that way?

I appreciate any feedback or help. Also nice to see someone from GenTech is still around, I bought my GT70 from you guys and worked with Ken a bunch. Heres hoping to bringing it back to life. :)

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Hey how is it going? You should be able to use that 980M with your GT70-0NE as many had actually done the upgrade, but please note that it's not always the GPU. Sometimes, it might be caused by a defective system board.
    Clevo version is fine, but you do need to flash the VBIOS to get better result. Do you have more details on the 980M that you were talking about ($400~500)?

6. Striph

Reputations:
    I was looking at this guy: http://r.ebay.com/6LJdd7 theres a few dozen listings that are similar to that, they all list "MSI, Clevo, Alienware, etc".

7. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 980m's more or less all share the same design, my MSI 980m has a green PCB and says MSI in the silkscreen(the white text on the pcb), and doesn't have the SLI connector soldered.

Besides that, they all should work, worst case, you grab the MSI 980m VBIOS and flash it.

8. Striph

Reputations:
    Will give one of those a shot then. Thanks!

Once I have that then all I really need is the 71X bios at that point? Is that a public download? Or should I head over and donate to Sven and request something?

9. panamaniacs2011

panamaniacs2011 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i have an msi gtx 980m and the heatsink for sale , it was from my former gt60 haswell laptop, link on my sig

10. Urchin263

Urchin263 Newbie

Reputations:
    I hope I’m not too late to the party, and I don’t sound too stupid.

I’ve got an old Cyberpower laptop that looks to be a rebadged GT70 (NC0 IIRC). It came with a GTX-675M (2Gb), has an i7-3630 processor. The 675 died (literally burned out, there was a charred spot), but the laptop works fine on the integrated graphics. I’m interested in putting in a 970M. I read through a couple hundred of the pages, and I saw that a couple folks had accidentally bricked their laptops by trying to flash the wrong BIOS to them. I’d like to avoid that, so I’m hoping someone can tell me what files I need to use. I’m thinking about buying a 3Gb version of the 970 and giving the laptop to my nephew. There are several listed on EBay for ~$150. Is there any particular kind I need to look for? If I can get one without that X bracket I should do that, right?

As far as files go, it looks as if I need to use the 51x or 71x bios on my computer, but should I just try installing the card first and seeing what happens? It has a very old bios on there now, and it doesn’t look as if I can just get a new one from either MSI or Cyberpower. I don’t really understand about the vBios but if I understand what I read correctly then I can use either a Clevo vBios or an MSI one, but how do I know which one to use?

Also, what is an “EC” and how are they used?

11. Urchin263

Urchin263 Newbie

Reputations:
    OK, now that I am home I can verify that according to SiSoft Sandra at least it is a MS-1762 motherboard, GT70 0NC is reported as the computer type . Also according to that software the BIOS is AMI (OEM) E176.2IG6.30J dated 06/08/2012.

How do I know whether to use the 51x or the 71x BIOS to flash it with? I'd like to do that prior to even getting the card just in case it bricks it.