The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just 3.xxx series then. 3840QM - faster are higher wattage which may cause problems in that 15.6" case. But do search further.

2. feelgeorge13

feelgeorge13 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you fully understand how to install a 1060m in a GT60/70?

3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  4. nigelpreece

nigelpreece Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Long time lurker on this forum, I wanted to post my results. This community has been so good to me and countless other people.

I orginally purchased an MSI whitebook 16F32-024bus-bbsx (came with a 680M card) back in mid 2013, I recently attempted to upgrade it to a 970M from msi. The bios saw the card but windows after installing drivers refused to boot. It would just get a black screen. I had svet over on the msi forum create a bios that the whitebook could be flashed to and was able to get the drivers installed. The next issue is the internal gpu would not switch to the 970M gpu, he fixed the issue by using a custom a vbios which allowed it to switch like normal from the intel gpu to the nvidia one.

Some great stuff happen after using this for the past few weeks.
    I can install the super charger app
    I can install the msi dragon center app
    I can setup uefi boot now (didn't even have that feature before)
    Plays games better than before with custom vbios (Specifically BF1)

Laptop specs
    3840QM
    32GB of ram
    970M
    MSI Whitebook 16F32

Basically this thing is used for work purposes of data recovery / cloning with 2x 1TB RAID 0 array. When my friends come from out of state I will have them use it. This is one of the most satisfying purchases I have made.

The next post is for my MSI GT70 2QD (970M)

I purchased this thing around early 2015 for a customer, customer backed out and I ended up liking this thing a lot (for $800 it was a steal at the time) . I have upgraded the cpu from a 4710MQ to a 4910MQ (night and day difference from 6MB cache to 8MB) 32GB of ram and recently found a 1060M on ebay for $400. I had checked ebay a lot for mxm but I am utterly convinced someone watches mxm videocards and buys all the cheap ones only to resell them at a higher price so I jumped on the card. The card was able to boot into bios and windows just fine but I had svet help me modify the inf driver, unfortunately I can not flash the vbios on it because it has to be physically modified. The inf driver guides compared to how svet instructed me on how to do it are way different. So I saved around $260 by purchasing a non msi model mxm. My heatsink fit right on it just fine.

GT70 Specs
    4910MQ
    32GB of ram
    1060 MXM aetina card

I had svet also install an unlocked bios for the laptop and what I really enjoyed about it is the cpu will auto-overclock to 3.6Ghz and it doesn't disable any cores. On stock settings my cpu will get around 60-64C on load, on the overclock it can reach 98C the performance is freaking awesome. I am slowly tweaking the fan curve to kick in around 87C. Basically the laptop has trouble getting rid of the additional heat so you either run it with the max fan option or set bios fan curve. The feature I am talking about in an unlocked bios is called MSI 4900 CPU Overclocking Function.

Again, I can't thank svet enough!

My next problem I am trying to solve is to find a decent msi GT battery supplier, I have 3+ dead batteries at home. I average about 1 year per battery. Not sure if the cold weather affects it or not, I just leave the work laptop GT60 in my car 99% of the time.

I am attempting to mod my GT60 with cooler boost 2 (Basically an upgraded gpu heatsink that goes over the cpu), that should arrive either today or tomorrow.

I got hooked on this forum orginally because I had a gateway gaming laptop where the gpu failed, and realized that basically it was an engineering design flaw and the whole motherboard had to be replaced. Replaced the motherboard twice and then threw it away. I really lucked out with MSI as I have really zero problems with them. The problems only happen when you start upgrading the laptop. Overall I really do apperciate this community and this sub forum because I have gotten 4 years out of my GT60 and it can still play games with great performance.

I have seen new/old asus laptops that don't last longer than a year and a half, or some that die after the warranty. I had one specific type of asus laptop that used magnets to trigger the display/videocard to work (I am not making this up) and I had to use a fridge magnet to make the display worked, it lasted about 6 months for the customer and we had him converted to msi once the asus kicked the bucket.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. MADARA1

MADARA1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks !
    I Need your advice. I have a GT70 OND with 675MX graphic card. I'm planning to replace it with a new one. I don't want to go half way and buy 980mx. In the same time i don't want waste time and $$$ to crafted up. What is my options to do it fast with max efficience (budget 1000$)? Thank you for an answer !

6. omega939

omega939 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Buy the same card if you're on a tight budget and don't want to waste time and money to craft up an updated mxm card.

7. MADARA1

MADARA1 Newbie

Reputations:
    980M ?

8. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Ask @woodzstack
    May be a gtx1070

MADARA1 likes this.
  9. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Honestly I would go GTX 1060N for that laptop. The single fan design would be overwhelmed by the 115w TDP. The 1060 is a much better match and would be a huge step up for you in terms of performance. The 1060N also beats the 980m by a decent amount all while running much cooler.

Phoenix likes this.
  10. omega939

omega939 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Talon
    eh Buddy. is it also compatible for a gtx 1060 (non g-sync) to work for GT60-16f3 ivy bridge? :)

Talon likes this.