The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, honestly the entire CPU line from intel is almost a scam. Only select few processors stand out, particularly due to unlocked turbo bins or turbo state. Most of the regular CPUs tend to have the same sustained performance.

6700HQ was actually a regression in performance, in some ways, because its turbo speeds were so low (3.1ghz) on quad core. I modified the EC on my old GT80, and even my old 4720HQ ran at sustained 3.6ghz on quad core, netting me even better benchmarks than a new CPU.

Bebotrip and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  2. omega939

omega939 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Bebotrip

One simple question though... What is the Device ID of your GPU is it 1C20 or 1C60? and the Hardware ID of your GTX 1060? picture please if you can provide

3. Bebotrip

Bebotrip Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    alienware 13r3 1060 GPU: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_076E1028

And that's its my last results, i sell the laptop today. Thats with +110Mhz core and 100Mhz Memorys Max temp 78cº auto fans

Firestrike: http://3dmark.com/3dm/22587453

TimeSpy: http://3dmark.com/3dm/22587687

Notes: Max Stable OC:

Core: 2098 Mhz at 84ºC

Memory: +140Mhz

Cpu Max Temp: 84ºc

Drivers: Modding nvmii.ini but with the GPU 1060 6gb FA change to FF and other SYSinfo

PD: i think with 3940Xm reach 10k on firestrike. Don't buy new laptops with 6º&7º gen cpu and wait to 8º gen

4. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I think you can easily surpass it with an extreme cpu, here my results, try to get up a little more on memory clock

3920xm@4,2Ghz and MSI 1060 Gtx +230core/+495mem
    10838 pt.
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/12820620

and

3920xm@4,3Ghz and MSI 1060 Gtx +230core/+300ram
    10969 pt.
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/12702130

Good OC and ;) Regards!

Bebotrip likes this.
  5. Skatascy

Skatascy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I own an Msi 1761(gtx780dx) and my gpu died out and am eaiting for an 970m replacement coming in.

I ve found a picture on how to mod the heatsink to fit the 970m but I dont own a rotary tool to grind out the part that is supposed to be cut out. Is there any other way to do that?

Also, its an Msi version card, do I have to flash a new bios and vbios for it?

6. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Ask @woodzstack

7. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Thanks for the mention kind sir !

We're already in contact too, as for the cards, the good thing about MSI is you do not usually need a modified driver, because so long as you have the latest firmware/EC and bios usually your good to go once you have the right vbios on the videocard, which is something most sellers offer, myself included if that is something anyone wished to know.

Incases where the wrong vbios is used the effects can range from no picture, to no card being detected to poor performance or throttling. We eliminate that by making sure the card's vbioses matches the specs of the laptop, where applicable. Some vbioses are used for multiple like chipsets and systems, and much more universal, this is more present with DELL/HP where there are fewer vbioses for most cards, but they run the same, but much more attention is required for SLI capable systems, older MSI systems and the 17" line up of Alienware's use different, as well as many Clevo's all require different vbioses.

Hope that helps, I know its not an exact science and I'm not listing every vbios there is and where it goes, because the list would go on and on and also be subjective and a lot of it would be linking multiple collaborations of other peoples work as well as our own and then it almost gets more personal with people's preferred vendors and etc..

I just try avoid that, however, any vbios from me specifically, is tested for 100% compatibility, sometimes there are issues that arise, which require troubleshooting, and 95% of the time, the issue is not having the latest windows or system bios or EC firmware or bad NVidia driver versions (notoriously... hence why I update to latest drivers seldom, and only when very efficient)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  8. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Well, INTEL had no competition for a few years, what did we expect them to do ! :(

#feelsbadman

Bebotrip likes this.
  9. autotech42

autotech42 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @talon,@woodzstack and anyone else in the know. hey guys,i have a msi gt70 2pc.latest bios (unlocked by svet) and ec.Upgraded to gtx 980m 8gig.every thing seems to work fine,temps are good.my 3dmark firestrike score was kinda lower than expected,but it shows about 20% increased performance in games than my old gtx 870m 3 gig.Was wondering if i needed to tweak the bios?or if i need a better vbios,Im not looking to over clock,just want to optimize the system.The current vbios is 84.04.22.00.0A , it is a green msi card.are all gtx 980m 8 gig vbios compatible across all cards?ie if i try a clevo vbios it wont brick my card?thanks

10. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Thats the right vbios you need. Just saying, oh and NO not all vbioses are great accross all machines, some will not even work in one and work in another some with throttle or be stuck at lower powered states.

There really is a long list of vbioses, but a good 5-6 make up the bulk of what works best.