The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Subil

Subil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very cool. You figured out how to modify the vendor ID in the bios directly so it appears to the driver as one of its compatible cards. I was thinking about t this when I first upgraded my laptop in December and was surprised no one figured it out then. So good on you. I saw prema built upon your idea and issued a modded bios.

Ill leave this here for anyone that wants one of his. I installed it just now, works flawlessly. Including optimus in windows 10.
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9723-vbios-mods-msi-prema-mod™/

DMTwo likes this.
  2. madiqhertz

madiqhertz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there, Not sure if this is the right thread so if its not please forgive me. I have a MSI Force 16f3 with a GTX 780m in it, This was upgraded from a 670m a while back and i am looking at yet another upgrade since this machine has treated me well over the years. Is it possible to upgrade the 780m to a 980m? I believe that both cards have the same power requirements, but im not entirely sure if the 980 runs hotter and if there are bios updates that would enable me to use this card.

Daniel Koiti likes this.
  3. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    @madiqhertz - The 980M does not run hotter; the Maxwell architecture does better on heat than the Keplar (7xxM series) did. Firmware is the issue here, though; you may need to hunt down a modded BIOS and/or vBIOS to make the 980M work, if it will work.

4. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. jelenn

jelenn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, this is my first post here and I wonder if you can help me:

I have two MSI GT70: 3Gen and 4Gen, each on win10. I would like to upgrade one of these with GTX970m (6GB, Clevo, VBIOS: 84.04.22.00.13). Is it possible to use card with modded drivers as it is, or should I first flash vbios?

6. Daniel Koiti

Daniel Koiti Newbie

Reputations:
  7. jelenn

jelenn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Omega939 - Your's vbios version is the same as my, so I guess there shouldn't be any other problem. Have You tried install it with win10?

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If Nvidia's official driver has added the support for Clevo ven id then it will work, otherwise you will have to mod it to allow plug and play driver to detect the graphics card.

9. Balint Sipos

Balint Sipos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I tried to get DMTwo or anyone in that other thread but so far I got no response.
    I'll try to look at that Prema's mod, I am hoping it does work for Sandy bridges as well.

edit: ok so as far as I understand I need to flash the GTX970M_6GB_MXM_OC_PM_v2 Bios for my 970M 6GB Clevo card from here: https://biosmods.wordpress.com/gtx9/
    After that I suppose I need to reinstall the stock nvidia driver. Or actually since I am upgrading to Win10 I just do that and then install the driver. Is it this simple?? Or am I missing something?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  10. omega939

omega939 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    once you've downloaded prema's vbios for GT60/70 either of the two vcar (980m/970m) and if you've successfully updated the vbios, everything is plug and play for the NVidia driver. You don't need the mod .inf just to install the latest drivers.