The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    On occasion yes, especially after a new install, it starts downloading and installing up to a certain point, you have to do and defer updates and play with it a bit to get it to stop. It will download drivers too, up to a certain point, and that point keeps changing.
    For my upgraders using MSI that is usually fine, Clevo's too. Alienware's not so easy...

2. woodzstack

Reputations:
  3. Subil

Subil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ill piggy back on this.

I have a GT70 with the 970m with SVL7's Clevo based bios(worked perfectly in Windows 7) and I have tried every single driver section where 13D8.xxxx.1462 is found in the latest Nvidia driver and not one will allow the installer to install successfully on Windows 10.

4. Jonathan Dykes

Jonathan Dykes Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm hoping to upgrade my Clevo P150em from 7970m to 970/980m. @woodzstack can you PM me re: getting hold of a card?

I am also unsure if I can use the heatsink that came with the laptop (which cools the 7970m)?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  5. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Yes, sure. Check Inbox.

P150EM is fine. The heatsink you have is the same as the new ones, there is very small differences but none you need.

6. Subil

Subil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I was able to get the driver from here:
    http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/31491-geforce-36825/

Installed successfully but in order to not have it fail every time I had to disable driver signing in Windows 10 and to also disable the automatic driver update.

I ran DDU to strip out all the drivers. Then installed the intel first, followed by the Nvidia. Everything completed successfully. But optimus does not work.

I am about to go back to Windows 7 unless someone can tell me they have been able to successfully run the 970M on Windows 10 in this laptop.

7. Balint Sipos

Balint Sipos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seems like you did the hard work for me. Sounds sad.
    Not that I have anything against Win7, it works well, but would had been good if we can use a newer system.
    I also await anyone who can tell how to make 970m work on Win10.

8. felix3650

felix3650 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    First one:D
    I have a GT60 and upgraded to a 980m. Its a Clevo card (which I backed up the first vBIOS from) and prepared the MSI vBIOS in case it would give me trouble with modded drivers and POST issues.
    Instead it worked perfectly and the only mod I did was with the heatsink.

9. omega939

omega939 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    mine Is PnP now .. ask @DM two. he can mod your vbios for your vcard to be PnP in any OS. No modded inf needed. Pm him or if you're so eager. go to prema's website. he also got pnp vbios for msi gt (ivy bridge and older proc's) older laptops.

TribalOne likes this.
  10. DMTwo

DMTwo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Subil!
    What version of Intel i Core do you have?
    If you have 3rd generation or below, I have a procedure that can help you with standard drivers from nVidia web site and also automatically downloaded and installed by GeForce Experience.

Take a look at this tutorial I made with Omega's help.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-and-play-drivers-gt60-70-ivy-bridges.789799/

If you have any doubt or support please let me know, I'll answer as soon as possible.