The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. jack87

jack87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh that's great! Thank you very much. I think I have the latest EC and BIOS but I don't really know. I have GT70 though which uses different EC and Bios than your GT60?

2. felix3650

felix3650 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    GT70 technically speaking uses the same BIOS and EC but there are differences in checksums and naming IDs. You could cross flash but the checksum would fail..just check on the GT70 support page. If you have the latest it should be plug-n-play. What generation cpu do you have? I'm assuming a 4th gen Haswell

3. jack87

jack87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have 4th Gen yes. I've installed the latest EC and BIOS from the support page. Reguardless of my vBIOS card seems to be working fine plug and play. The issue I am faced with right now is my fan is running at full speed whenever using external monitor.

From what I understand the EC controls the fan speed based on GPU temp. The dragon software also reports the temp the EC sees. After 5 or so min the temp jumps to some crazy high false amount in Dragon software then reports NA. While its reporting true temps it works fine with the fans. After burner and games report true temps reguardless not sure how they get the temp info I just know dragon gets it from EC.

MSI after burner reports true temps for GPU so do games I run that have gpu specs to display. But EC for some reason quits reporting the temp all together so fans just max out until I unplug HDMI.

Trying to figure out whats the deal grrr. Just reinstalled windows didnt install dragon same issue at hand. Then later intalled to confirm the patteren and it continues.

I have latest BIOS, EC, and vBIOS (thanks to you). I'm wondering if there is a particular EC version or BIOS version (modded or otherwise) that can help resolve this probelm. I seen forum posts with others having same issue (I never used external monitor before gpu upgrade so not sure if issue existed with my old 770m gpu but I assume it did) with total stock hardware some new out of the box.

It's fine while gaming to run full speed but I am not comfortable with it during non gaming use and leaving computer running and having fan possibly fail sooner than it should due to consistent 4500-5000rpm.

I have MSI GT70-2OC but now with 980m GPU, 32gig ram, 2 2.5" 1TB ssd and stock i7 4700mq CPU. Latest drivers installed for all hardware on fresh clean install of Windows 10 with no extra software besides the ones from MSI support utility page and Overwatch game.

4. felix3650

felix3650 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can try to reflash and clear the EC. You remove the battery and disconnect the power cord and leave it for about 5-10min like that. Sometimes the EC in-memory mapping gets stuck to certain values and need a clearing. If that doesn't work you can try if it behaves normally with this software I'm putting:

https://mega.nz/#!3ZkX1SqI!yC8AxkmwTBwEQzuPAAZ4Ds7hQqgGVcp-6tpxg-YNjD0

:)

5. Balint Sipos

Balint Sipos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys / Omega,

You've helped some months ago to get my new GTX970m to work for Windows 7.
    Since the end of the free upgrade is coming I was thinking of going for the Win10.

If I would download the latest Nvidia driver for Win10 could you modify it the same way you did in december?
    (or does this work in Win10 properly?)

6. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Free upgrade is too expensive for that POS OS. Why did you need help getting it to work on WIndows 7? It must not have the MSI bios? Mine was plug and play.

7. Balint Sipos

Reputations:
    My laptop is is an MS 1761 so pretty much an MSI GT780DXR (with a GTX570M) just with a custom BIOS. The BIOS upgrade for that was pretty old. (or I've been told)

What do you mean by too expensive?

8. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was being sarcastic, since I hate windows 10, hence the POS reference. Sorry, I was referring to the bios on the card. I also forgot to mention, that I have a system Bios customized and unlocked by Svet from the MSI forums. Bought my 970m from Woodzstack on ebay. So he flashed an msi bios to the card before he shipped it to me.

What problems are you having with your card?
    I see that you need a modified .inf file for your driver to work and install correctly? I

9. Balint Sipos

Reputations:
    Yeah I've talked to Svet also and he unlocked the latest BIOS for my barebone.

Currently I have no problem with the card. It's working well with the INF file that was modified by Omega here.
    However I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade to Win10 while it's still free. That's about it. So I wondered if I can get the latest Win10 nvidia driver INF modified the same way so the video card would run smoothly under that new operating system also. (if it would even work properly under a different OS)

10. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have heard that Windows 10 updates drivers automatically with or without your consent. Whether that is true or not, I do not know.
    Have you opened the inf file with notepad, and looked at what it says?