The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Talon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Balint Sipos

Balint Sipos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello where can I get more info about BIOS and vBIOS upgrades? It is still a bit confusing to me.

In the original post the there is a talk about IvyBridge based system but mine is SandyBridge. Can you please advise me on what sort of BIOS and vBIOS would I need for my MS-1761 to be able to put the 970M in it?
    My current:
    BIOS: E1761IG6 ver.3.06
    EC: 1761EG61 ver.4.04

I would appreciate for any help you guys can give me.

2. Zar

Zar Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello Balint Sipos,

If you want more info about how to update BIOS and VBIOS for MSI laptops you can check the MSI web site for your laptop in the BIOS section. Your laptop is a little bit old so I doubt it that you can install GTX 970M on it without a big hassle. If you want to upgrade to this card you definitely have to update your laptop BIOS to the latest that is on the MSI web site for your model.
    BIOS update is a necessity for every GPU because without it your new card will not be recognized as a new hardware device installed.
    VBIOS update is update of the BIOS on the card itself. If you upgrade for example a Haswell MSI laptop-GT70 2PC Dominator Pro with Clevo cards (which are blue) GTX 970M or GTX 980M, they have Clevo VBIOS which means that if you want to update Nvidia drivers directly from Nvidia you'll not succeed, if you don't update the BIOS first, so you have to install custom modified drivers. If you install MSI cards (green) GTX 970M or GTX 980M they have VBIOS that is fully compatible with latest drivers from Nvidia even though it is again recommended to update the BIOS of the laptop to ensure maximum compatibility with the new GPU card.
    What is the exact model of your laptop? If it is a Sandy Bridge with GTX 460M which is the first generation Fermi architecture GPU, you will not succeed to upgrade to GTX 970M in my opinion. Even after BIOS update I doubt it that GTX 970M can work properly.
    Nvidia GTX 980M and 970M work on Haswell and IvyBridge platforms without major problems, but Haswell platform is the easiest in terms of GPU upgrades because the BIOS of Haswell MSI laptops is more compatible with those cards.

3. Balint Sipos

Reputations:
    Hey Zar thank you for helping me with this.
    Your explanation on the BIOSs looks good to me, and I got multiple confirmations that my MS-1761 laptop does indeed good for this upgrade.
    It is a SandyBridge i7-2630QM CPU and 570M GPU.

People confirmed it for example here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-1761-compatible-gpus.776916/page-2
    or here: http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/10710-gt780dx-upgrade-gtx-9xxm.html
    (but please tell me if you think otherwise)

For the system BIOS this is the MSI page I found: http://www.msi.com/support/nb/GT70-2PC-Dominator.html#down-bios&Win7 64
    But the problem is I don't have the IMS version, I have an IG6 version (E1761IG6 ver.3.06), and I'm not sure if these ones are good to use.
    Also for vBIOS, I've looked around but so far I've only seen some custom made vBIOSs and there are several of them. Not sure which one to use. If you know more about this please shed some light :)

4. Zar

Zar Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Your BIOS is different so I'm not sure whether will work or not, but the threads you copy are enough for successful upgrade even for Sandy Bridge platform. Is your MSI a barebone? If it is that is why your BIOS is IG6 version, so original MSI BIOS is not compatible with your laptop. You don't need to update VBIOS if you choose MSI green card because is good enough, and it doesn't need modified driver or custom made VBIOS. I completely agree with this thread:
    http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/10710-gt780dx-upgrade-gtx-9xxm.html
    If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

5. Balint Sipos

Reputations:
    Hmm interesting. Yes I have a barebone from XoticPC (their designation is FORCE 1761).
    So I'm guessing I would need to get the latest BIOS from them. What would I need to say?
    "Please send me the latest BIOS version that the E1761IG6 ver.3.06 is upgradable to?". Do we know if that would work with the 970M?
    (Sorry I am really a newbie in BIOS upgrades)

Currently I am looking at the the one the OP mentions, the Clevo version of the 970M as it is just less than £300. I could get a green MSI (from France) for around £400 but that's obviously a big bump in price.

If I go with the Clevo one I would need a VBIOS. I tried the opening post again but the links are not available anymore (asked Talon but he doesn't have it anymore). Is there place I could still get it?

6. derelict613

derelict613 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all.

New to the forums, and I posted elsewhere and they directed me to this thread for help.

Very recently I had my GTX680m die on me, and I am looking to replace or upgrade it. Most recently, It was recommended I upgrade to a 970m.

I have an MSI GT70 0NE purchased in 2012. Windows 7 install with the gtx680m 4gb.
    While doing homework, the laptop suddenly shut off. If i pressed the power button, it would flash white for a split second, but remain off, nothing turning on. I took it apart and started removing pieces and attempting to boot. After removing the vga card, it successfully turned on, and booted off the internal HD4000 chip. This leads me to believe the vga card has died, or the interface between the card and the motherboard somehow went bad. I'm leaning toward the more common problem.

I am now in the market for a new video card, likely to be an Nvidia GTX 970m. I have been searching everywhere for a green MSI VBios card, but I haven't found a single one, as well as MSI doesn't have them in their parts store. I have found a few blue Alienware/clevo cards on ebay that are affordable, but I am aware these are not plug in compatible. If I have them flashed with MSI VBios, and I flash my motherboard bios to the most recent from MSI, would this solve incompatibility issues?

If anyone has any information, or confirmation of any of these questions I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

MSI GT70 0NE 276US
    GTX 680m 4gb
    Bios: E1762IMS.30M
    EC: 1762EMS1 Ver 4.10
    IGFX Vbios: 2126
    ME FW Version 8.0.0.1351
    Windows 7 install with a RAID setup

7. superguy25

superguy25 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The blue ones are fine. At worst, you have to use the modified INF file and disable driver signing checking. My GT60 ran fine with a Clevo 970m.

Some of the best prices for the 970m can be found at RJtech.com. Theirs are Clevo cards.

8. derelict613

Reputations:
    I intend on getting the latest bios unlocked by Svet as well. My biggest concern is simply just getting the card to work properly.
    If the vbios are flashed to msi, as well as bios flashed and updated, would it be necessary to use the modded INF drivers on the card? Or would I be able to use nvida drivers from their site?

9. superguy25

superguy25 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There were reports of issues if you flashed those to the MSI version. MSI has both 3GB and 6GB versions out there with different vBIOSes, so you'd need to be careful. A lot of people either stayed with the Clevo bios or used a modded bios.

Using a modified INF isn't that big of a deal. I just downloaded the drivers from MSI, extracted it, copied the modified INF over to replace the stock one. Then reboot with driver signing turned off and install. Worked fine.

Newer Nvidia releases didn't require me to use it.

I have to replace my card as I damaged it while installing it, and the repair didn't hold up. I plan on getting another one from RJtech once I scrape up the cash.

10. derelict613

Reputations:
    Alright I'm leaning towards getting a blue card for now. Additionally, I still have my msi 680m heat sink. Will this be useable with a modification? Or do I need to get a new heatsink? The card architecture is almost identical