\/\/\/\/\/\- The Official MSI GT60-2OD Owner's Lounge -/\/\/\/\/\/

Discussion in 'MSI' started by xMAR99, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    That means something in the background is using the Nvidia GPU or you have the machine set to exclusively use the Nvidia GPU and not the Intel gpu. Best bet is to go into Nvidia control panel and enabled the little icon in the task tray that shows you when the Nvidia GPU is active and lists what program is using it. Steam is set by default for example to use the Nvidia GPU when it's not needed and should be set to integrated.

Also, another reason could be are you using an external monitor? An external monitor will also use the Nvidia GPU and keep the light orange (at least using HDMI and probably DP).

By comparison, unless I'm playing a game or hooked to an external monitor, my light is always white.

2. Vegetothe1st

Vegetothe1st Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Posted this in the 2OC Owner's Lounge, but going to post it here to get more people looking at it. It's probably not an issue between the models...

----

Has anybody had issues getting the computer to go to sleep? It seems to be fine after it just boots up (meaning I can put it to sleep many times without problems), but after a while of being on it seems to randomly not want to sleep. This happens whether I close the lid, use the sleep hotkeys (FN+F12), or use the sleep command in Windows 8. The screen will go black, but the fan will not stop spinning and the keys will remain illuminated, and the computer becomes unresponsive until it is power cycled.

Note that this does not happen all the time, but only occasionally. I'm not sure where the problem would lie...

3. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hey man, which one is the ring offset in XTU? I don't have the unlocked bios flashed so I am adjust these values from inside XTU latest version. Thanks!

4. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its listed as cache voltage offset. Main thing is to undervolt where you can get the best chance of not hitting TDP limits.

5. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks!

Also I just made a huge.. huge.. huge mistake that almost ended with disaster. I decided I was being brave or stupid and decided to adjust more settings. I adjusted the PEG/DMI Ratio to 1.25x. It rebooted to nothing. Just a black screen. Then kept rebooting over and over. It would boot up for about 10 seconds to a black screen and then restart again. I was unable to do anything. I tried to blind command the bios to defaults with delete key mashed, F9/F10 commands but nothing was workng. I panicked. I removed the battery and did a wait period and restart. Tried to drain the system of all power and then tried all above again. Tried to clear the CMOS with that wire near the fan. Nothing worked. I was convinced I was going to have to send it back to MSI.

Out of desperation, I pulled out my 4700MQ, installed that, and magically it worked! I got to repaste and put my 4900MQ back in again. O well. I guess it was all a very good lesson, and now I have fresh paste again!

DO NOT EVER ADJUST THE PEG/DMI RATIO IN XTU!! :eek:

6. Mr Lahey

Mr Lahey Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes I've been having problems. Same as you plus when I open back up the screen doesn't come back on so I have to reboot.

7. Hendrickson

Reputations:
    Wow lucky ;) I hate it when i do things like that. I only touch the performance options in the unlocked bios. If something doesn't work the bios resets next boot because I have not made it permanent. There is an option in the bios as a safe guard. Best not to touch that or BLCLK either (Not like only Core CPUs). I learnt the hard way back in the day too.

2 hours of splinter cell and no crashes yet (Fingers crossed, looks my overclocking and undervolting is 100% stable) If I test CPU and run furmark for a while it will throttle once the CPU hits around 80c and the multiplier drops to around 37. But never will i be running both CPU and GPU 100% it was stable for 10 minutes but very hot to run any longer. I've noticed with my undervolted CPU, core, ring, GFX, io all undervolted i don't seem to be using hybrid.

Does anyone know if the unlocked bios gives an option to disable hybrid? Can't seem to find it. I can disable the iGPU (Might test that for adaptive vsync)

The unlocked turbos give a nice boost over stock that's for sure. PS CS6 64bit loads up a bit quicker. All 3 seconds of it. Video encoding is faster etc etc. My 4900MQ is here to stay. I'm also sick of opening my system up.

On other note what battery life are people getting? I think my 3 plextor mSata's has taken a big hit on battery life. I will be lucky to get 3 1/2 hours with Wifi on.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The easiest way to get that setting to reset is to change the ram configuration (single stick or a different stick inserted) and it should recover.

I have only started testing if it's possible to get the ratio changed so please leave that alone just now lol. You have to be very careful with that as the baseclock/DMI ratio must come together to set the SATA and such buses at 100mhz.

9. Hendrickson

Reputations:
    I would not touch even baseclock +1Mhz not with raid0 just asking for drive raid corruption.

Here are my 4900MQ overclocking unlocked bios settings. Can be used for XTU

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your mileage may vary, works great on my 4900MQ....

10. Vegetothe1st

Vegetothe1st Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, glad I'm not the only one having issues anyway. I've been looking into the power plans and noticing that MSI's System Control Manager seems to be resetting the power plan to Balanced whenever it starts up, and I can't find a way to change this behavior other than preventing SCM from starting. This introduces other problems however, such as the touch buttons not working. I'm not sure the power plan changing is at all related to the sleep issue, but its just something I found while playing around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.