The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Ryujin2003

Ryujin2003 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had my GS73VR 6RF for about a year and a half. I absolutely love it. It's pretty light, easy to carry around, and has been very reliable.

I have been messing with undervolting for the past year. The only game that gives me grief is Ark. It'll crash when I exit the game while undervolting.. It's weird.

Anyways, I haven't had a chance yet, but looked at the IFIXIT guide. I've been repairing PCs and Laptops for years, so I'm not scared to take my laptop apart. I wanted to know if it was worth swapping out the thermal paste. I'm NOT going to do liquid metal. I'm not sold on it quite yet for anything other than Intel delids. I have Arctic Silver 5. I was also looking at maybe Kryonaut... But has anyone changed the thermal paste on their laptops and actually had noticeable improvements to recommend doing it? I haven't been able to find anything specific to this laptop. Also, have found much on AS5 vs Kryonaut either incase anyone has a resource for that.

Thanks again for everyone's time.

2. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I used LM on the CPU and got a 15C improvement. On the GPU I barely got any improvement no matter what paste I used. It's a major chore disabling the GS series laptops, so unless you're having throttling issues, you might want to reconsider.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hmscott and Ryujin2003 like this.
  3. Ryujin2003

Ryujin2003 Newbie

Reputations:
    Exactly the reason I was asking. I perform well with undervolt. My GPU doesn't have any thermal issues. It's the CPU that gets hot.

It looked like it'd be a chore since everything looks like its between the MB and the keyboard... Nice design.

Thanks for the feedback!

hmscott likes this.
  4. tracer2535

tracer2535 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, uuuh, I just had CPU 95C, and GPU 91C (!!!). As far as I know GPU temp should never excees 83, what the hell?

5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  6. tracer2535

Reputations:
    Yeah, probably not gonna postpone it any longer. 3 months old laptop, what in the world... BTW, why did you use different thermal solutions for CPU and GPU?

7. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I didn't get as much of a benefit using LM on the GPU over regular paste. Too risky with little reward. The CPU on the other hand was totally worth it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ultra Male likes this.
  8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Because you don't wanna put liquid metal on the GPU bro. it's not safe. IC Diamond is more than enough BUT I used the X Cross method for applying IC Diamond on the GPU

The X Cross method is the best in my experience as once the heatsink is fitted, it provides the maximum coverage with the least air bubbles

[​IMG]

As for the CPU, I applied a small dot of Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, then using the supplied black Q-Tip, I slowly started expanding that dot to form a thin layer that covers the entire CPU then slapped the heatsink on.

Make sure you clean the CPU and heatsink properly before you start.

Asleep likes this.
  9. tracer2535

Reputations:
    oh, yeah, totally glossed over the fact that you've used LM on CPU. I think I'm not gonna risk that, will stick to thermal paste on both.

10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    That's your wish but I got a 20C reduction in temps with Conductonaut vs IC diamond on the CPU

I've used Liquid metals on all my laptops before, you just have to be careful it's not that scary. As long as you don't drop it on the PCB your're fine and even if you do, simply wipe it with a cotton bud dipped in alcohol and you're good.

Make sure you disconnect the battery before touching any of this.