The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. tails999

tails999 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody to be honest I was choosing between the gs73vr and the gs63vr. I'm a college student and, to be honest I feel like the gs73vr has better capabilities what with the 120hz screen and more screen real estate. I'm going into animation and the gs63vr's display from Best Buy seemed to have rather washed out colors. According to the review on youtube the gs73vr has a pretty good display (although i know this should probably be taken with a grain of salt). However, I was wondering, in your opinions, if this laptop is portable enough for college sitting in lectures and taking notes n whatnot. I know it's slightly heavier than the gs63 and is bigger in general. Thoughts? thanks for any help :)

2. MaxHut

MaxHut Newbie

Reputations:
    Atma likes this.
  3. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Dimensions should be as follows: 16.85" (L) x 12.36" (W) x 1.76 (H)
    Weight: 8.59 lbs (with battery)

I wouldn't deem that highly campus friendly as far as portability goes, but it would, at least, be the envy of your classmates. :vbcool:

4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wrong model? The gs73vr is nowhere near that thick or heavy

5. Aftermaths

Aftermaths Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah I was really sceptical of this device as first. The ultrabookreview does a great review and I find everything to be true for me too. The build quality is great on top but the bottom around the edges is seriously sharp and disappointing. Mine is primarily used a desktop replacement that is portable when I travel so it isn't a deal breaker as much as it is a massive let down. The track pad is really stiff. The keyboard is fantastic to type on but seriously MSI why are you messing with standard layouts? They're a standard for a reason. It means people are used to it. I want my Del key in the normal place and the arrows to not be mushed up between the numpad and standard side.

During normal load (browsing youtube, twitch, email, a few random tabs, skype on), I'd say it's not hot at all. In fact at most I call it warm, I wouldn't even say it's pretty warm. The top vents above the keyboard is barely warm. The CPU and GPU hover below 60c. So I currently, have twitch steaming on source, a youtube 1080p video playing, itunes, this review tab and MSI bloatware in the background. I get avg 50c on CPU and 44c on GPU. The max on CPU is 62c and 47c on GPU.

I only play Dota 2 so I cannot say how it is with other games. I max out everything at 1080p and I'm a little disappointed that I'm not even hitting the max 120 frames. I get between 70 to 110. After 4 hours of game play, CPU hit 82c and GPU never went past 80c. Fan noise is a tolerable. It's not noticeable with headphones on. When idling or just chilling it's low. Sometimes it picks up a bit but nothing that will catch attention of others. During game play it gets a little loud. I think if the noise wasn't high pitch it would be better. I didn't take any readings but I estimate it to be high 40 decibels.

Edit: I'm in UK and my room is cold so ambient temperature high 10s. The above temps are achieved under sport mode and auto fan settings. I'm sure if you go max fan speed the temps will be lower. This tiny thing is somehow pushing 5333rpm on CPU and 5161rpm on GPU. But at this fan speed, from normal sitting position my app records high 50s decibels and 88 by the vents. I removed the HDD and left it empty cos I don't need a slow drive that just adds weight to the machine but it makes the left palm rest hollow and it flexs by just resting my palm on it. I've decided to put it back.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    praetorianx and Atma like this.
  6. D4nthr4x

D4nthr4x Newbie

Reputations:
    Changing the thermal paste definitely seems to help with noise/temps, playing wow and the GPU didn't seem to heat up at all after the change maybe mid 70s. I'm going to try some of the liquid metal pastes next but there is definitely a noticeable change in audible fan noise with the new paste, of course you are voiding the warranty so I would advise against it. But if anyone is looking to buy one new, I would pay the extra money from the companies that offer IC Diamond to get that done and maintain the warranty. It's a massive PITA to take this notebook apart to get to that point even if you don't care about the warranty. Also the sticker flakes apart it's as if it's a paint on sticker or made of the most fragile material ever.

Atma likes this.
  7. MaxHut

MaxHut Newbie

Reputations:
    Just received mine at work.
    [​IMG]

First impression : omg this is a beautiful baby... really.
    It is so thin ! If the reviews online are right and it stays around 80°c maximum it is really amazing given that how thin it is.

I ll post a longer review this week.

8. doctorsubie

doctorsubie Newbie

Reputations:
    Have had my GS73VR for the past week, just wondering what kind of 17.3" cases people are using? I bought a Ogio Renegade Zip Top bag which is rated for 17" laptops, but it's just a few mm too small for this guy (you can't zipper up on the corners of it when the laptop is in the laptop compartment)...

Wanted a more 'tactical' look rather than the traditional business black look, but am having trouble finding ones that fit.

Anyone use a Maxpedition Testudo, does it fit?

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to NBR forum. Please make sure to register your unit on MSI's website to activate ADC as well as other benefits. :)

10. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016