The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The trade-off with applying enthusiast pastes is that you will drop a few degree's, but over time it will degrade again and you will need to repaste. Maybe 6 months - 18 months, depending on the paste and the application.

Your temp's are great as is with stock paste, and the MSI stock paste usually lasts for a few years without needing repasting.

The GPU temp's are usually least improved with enthusiast paste so I wouldn't worry about 83c.

If you end up getting motivated to do it, make sure to read around on NBR for others experiences, watching some video's, and maybe experiment with desktop re-pasting first.

Prostar Computer and stank0 like this.
  2. SierraEx

SierraEx Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm thinking I'd picking up a gs73 in the near future but want to know what the chassis heat is like in real world gaming. while I'm aware most people don't have ir Sensors, how does the laptop feel heat wise while using It? can you notice any heat on the keyboard and how much does ramping the fans up improve both surface temperature and hardware temperature? I may end up holding off until mid announce their gtx1050 range which I can only assume will run cooler regardless

3. JB_BK

JB_BK Newbie

Reputations:
    I haven't sat down and played for much longer than an hour ... but I will say that the keyboard stays very cool relative to what I thought it would be. I've even set my hand over where the CPU and GPU are while it's definitely warm, I'd say it feels more like a hot mug of coffee that's been sitting out for a few minutes if that helps haha. In other words, I'm very pleased with the heat management in terms of directing away the heat exhaust from the user. I don't play on my lap, so I'm not sure what the base panel feels like, but the top half stays pretty cool.

I haven't messed with fan configurations because I deleted the Dragon Center software. But the fans do get really loud when the CPU and GPU are around 80% usage and the temps get to 80C. For those instances I just turn up my speakers or put in headphones. Depending on what kind of game you are playing you might not experience high temps or loud fans.

4. AlpacaTrainer23

AlpacaTrainer23 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got the laptop and noticed that there is stutter/jitter that is coming from the top right side of the laptop when the fans are rotating slowly or when I just start the device. Is this normal or is there a fan that is slightly loose? Could also possibly be the hdd.

Basically, it is on the right side and is a slow rattling noise, sort of like a clock tick.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  5. jjp

jjp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is the best possible ram for this laptop? Is there a compatability list for the motherboard of this laptop? I'm looking for 32 gigs

6. JB_BK

JB_BK Newbie

Reputations:

What you have sounds similar to what I have which is a static buzzing sound from the right side of the laptop. Mine emits the sound from where the battery is. I haven't figured out why it's happening, because it will happen when the battery is charging but also when the power cord is disconnected. I thought it might be from using Edge, but it also happens when I'm using Chrome. Could be a speaker that is faulty for all I can tell.

But thankfully it happens infrequently enough that I don't really worry about it. However, it is very annoying if you are in a quiet room :(

7. JB_BK

JB_BK Newbie

Reputations:
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  9. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you're experiencing micro-stuttering or mouse-pointer-freezing, which is a problem affecting many VR-ready MSI notebooks, check out this thread for potential solutions: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ointer-freezes-try-this.798873/#post-10401161

@TigerFoo

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  10. TigerFoo

TigerFoo Newbie

Reputations:

Have been using chrome, and while in general it runs better than edge small stutters will still occur during media playback like Youtube. I set the dGPU to be the preferred GPU and also set both browsers to use the dGPU. I installed those drivers you mentioned as well. As mentioned before, I did a clean install and uninstalled MSI Dragon Center as well as Nahimic 2. Any other ideas for the cause of stuttering?