The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. aspertionDilbert

aspertionDilbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well the Mini Block dragon kept my wife entertained for an hour.

Jeez bloatware though!

Trying to lock down win10 firewall and these apps go crazy, especially the Steel Series one.
    10,000 system log failures per minute haha.

The MSI ones seem to
    battle the win10 default methods on brightness and colours too, the screen is wonderful but looks different every time I do something, and the keyboard was changing colours randomly too, I probably pressed a mode change?! Who knows?

What a mess. How they bollocks up fundamentals like this is beyond me.

Fresh win10 going on now. I'll be avoiding the MSI s/w.

Build quality seems nice enough. The sharp edge is weird though, seems a bad design choice to me, and that base panel feels flimsy lifting the base where fingers press underneath towards the back when lifting.
    I expected solidness from reviews, but it feels a bit iffy.

I'd prefer another 300g of metal to make it solid as a rock but hey.

Also no choice for right click via taps? Seems like a weird thing to miss.
    Clicks are loud in bed next to my sleeping partner.

Seems quiet to me too. Maybe under load it'll get loud but just tinkering around without sustained load and it's nice and quiet.

Also I like the size and thinness but with the big screen.

Just those bendy feeling parts under my fingers when lifting... it feels ok at the front half of the sides, but the back half is lacking!

2. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have double tap for right click turned on.

3. TigerFoo

TigerFoo Newbie

Reputations:
    So much for the clean install fixing the stuttering. Just this week the stuttering has returned, specifically while I am streaming content online like YouTube. I've set the dedicated Nvidia GPU to be the main graphics processor for most applications including browsers, so I'm not sure it it's stuttering from switching back and forth between integrated and dedicated GPUs or if there is something causing a memory leak. I got rid of the Nahimic 2 drivers and the only bloat I've downloaded again was Dragon Centre, which even when I completely close the application the stuttering still occurs. Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Uninstall MSI Dragon Gaming Center - DGC installs and runs background services.

5. TigerFoo

TigerFoo Newbie

Reputations:
    Done, however the stuttering still occurs. I'm testing now to see if the stuttering only occurs on edge or if it occurs when downloading content on any browser or in general. Most of the time the stuttering occurs it's when I'm streaming content on edge specifically.

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Are you running on Wifi? Do you have the 1535 wireless card?

Uninstall the Killer Suite and install the drivers only package:

http://www.killernetworking.com/support/driver-downloads/category/other-downloads

If you want to go back to the Killer Suite, get the latest version and set the Upload/Download values - so the software can correctly balance the traffic.
    http://www.killernetworking.com/support/driver-downloads/category/killer-suite

And, don't forget to update their BT driver too:
    http://www.killernetworking.com/support/driver-downloads/category/bluetooth

This problem can also be the iGPU / dGPU change, look back in the thread for techniques to keep the dGPU loaded, and set the global preferred GPU to dGPU.

DukeCLR likes this.
  7. aspertionDilbert

aspertionDilbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd imagine the power light would flicker if GPUs are swapping?
    A bit annoying that it's orangey red or reddy orange, but it might be visible?!

8. Spybreak

Spybreak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How decent are the speakers on the GS73? I'm testing a GS63 and I'm really not happy about how they sound, they're not even good enough for random youtube videos even after uninstalling Nahimic or even playing with the settings.

Has anyone compared both systems' speakers and can say if the 73s 4+1 sound noticeably better? I'm kind of thinking about going for it, as the sound is my only real complaint with the 15" model.

9. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've had both and the gs73 is much better. It's still not great with nahimic but if you turn it off and install drivers that allow you to use realtek's sound properties, you can make the speakers sound pretty good. It comes at a cost though because you'll have to manually switch to headphones since there won't be a prompt anymore.

Even with nahimic installed, it's still better than the gs63vr.

10. Spybreak

Spybreak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, this is enough to really push me to the 73VR. I'm looking at the 4k model and between the extra resolution and the better sound I think I can get over the slight size increase and the worse looking design (those diagonal lines around the keyboard, ugh).

Thermals and noise should also be a bit better, right? Even though I'm pretty happy with the 63VR as it is.