The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Find the icc profile they are using and load it manually. It should stick on reboot.

hmscott likes this.
  2. aspertionDilbert

aspertionDilbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, is this laptop capable of being run with win7?

Does any reseller in the UK do a good job of selling these laptops, maybe even fitting pcie SSD with a warranty etc?
    Or taking it back if it's sold as having pcie but not?

MSI really do come across as a bit shoddy.
    Their website is poor to begin with, their resellers offer little clarity, and venturing elsewhere leaves me unsure on what I'll get in the box.

Bit of a shame as the core hardware is great.

I can just see the engineers face palming while the marketers and managers bollocks up all their hard work!

3. aspertionDilbert

Reputations:
    Oh hidevolution do a win7 machine with warrantied upgrades etc.

Might have to get a UK quote but I can imagine it'll be cheaper just going DIY and paying up if anything breaks.

4. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Everything about MSI is shoddy. From the website and customer support, to the software they provide, to the hardware itself. Never buying an MSI product again.

I just sold my GS73VR for $1000 bucks on craigslist. Felt like I had no other option. What a waste of time, energy, and money this laptop was. I've learned a big lesson about gaming laptops in general: they are gross.

5. aspertionDilbert

Reputations:
    I'm baffled by the laptop market full stop.

I've spent weeks reading up but still struggle with the myriad undocumented caveats on what should be flawless top end machines.

I can only assume these big monolithic businesses suffer very badly from the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

Engineers do X well, marketing think about convoluted names and dragon badges, accounting think about cheap hdds to make it cost less.

6. Dark_

Dark_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Besides software and support, what hardware issues did you experience?

I can agree that the base image they load is garbage but that's an easy fix requiring only a couple of hours. Support, well, I've only dealt with MSI support once (~3 years ago) and it was fairly seamless but I'm sure not all requests are handled identically.

So far, the GS73VR has been just as great of a laptop as the GS70 and GS60 I've owned in the past (especially among the other slim gaming laptops available).

7. aspertionDilbert

Reputations:
    Ok Scan reseller says pcie SSD, but other resellers with same manufacturer ref number don't say pcie.

The MSI website says pcie super fast SSD etc, so I'm confused still.

I'm happy enough to put Win7 on myself and if it's any pcie SSD im happy enough... But I can't bring myself to pay ~ £2000 for a laptop sold with 'wow pcie 1000mb/+ speeds' that then runs a slow old Sata one, never mind that the *old* gs72 ran a pcie SSD and 7200rpm drives.

I'm baffled.

A shame MSI marketing can't do their core job right and inform me what I'm gonna get as a UK buyer!

8. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    @aspertionDilbert - It should support both mSATA (SATA protocol) and NVMe (PCIe Gen 3, 4 lanes) as far as the m.2 port goes. Only the SATA port for 2.5" drives is strictly SATA.

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It supports both interfaces but you would want to maximize your system's potential by going with NVMe. :)

10. aspertionDilbert

Reputations:
    I thought nvme interface was on the pcie ssds, and non-nvme are sata based interface?

What isn't clear is if the SSD provided in this system is using nvme PCI or Sata interfaces.

Netbookcheck said theirs was Sata, and well slower than 1000mb/s, some resellers say OEM is Sata too.

MSI marketing say its pcie and it'll be fast because of it.

Only one UK seller says pcie that I can find.

This is why MSI are poor, they can't say explicitly.
    It's inferred, assumed, or misrepresented by their resellers.

Does the OEM SSD do 1000mb/s+ or is its nvme PCIe capability wasted with a low speed Sata drive and locked behind a warranty voiding sticker?

I really want to order one but I'm very weary of being shafted on price vs performance.

Thanks