The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. caitsith01

caitsith01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is the exact opposite of my experience. Nahimic, like most audio 'enhancements', made the sound muddier and less accurate. Removing it completely made my GS73 sound a lot better (and louder).

3. caitsith01

Reputations:
    Not sure if you resolved this, but I got one of the first GS73s when they were shipped, and mine had an annoying noise - a faint crackly, whirring noise which was linked variously to moving the mouse or CPU activity. Not coil whine. MSI checked it out and confirmed it was a defect, probably a slight short somewhere on a solder point or similar. They gave me a new machine to replace the old one.

4. caitsith01

Reputations:
    I've been using this machine since it was released - overall, I love it. I have the 120Hz version and gaming is awesome, colour fidelity is actually very good for some casual photo work too so long as you sit straight on to the screen and tilt it at the right angle. I replaced the awful platter HDD with an SSD (Australian shipped model came with the worst HDD in human history) and the machine absolutely flies. I have also got a fan profile which seems to keep the machine almost totally silent for desktop work, and only noisy for gaming. Frame rate limiting in some games (e.g. Minecraft) keeps things moderately quiet. More graphically heavy games certainly make plenty of noise though.

I have read everyone's complaints about 'sharp' edges with bewilderment. Mine is perfectly fine, to the extent that I don't really understand the complaint. My only complaint is that the front corners of the body of the unit are slightly flexible, so that if you pick it up by one of those corners there is an alarming bending of the chassis.

In terms of the pre-installed software, my view is that Nahimic is total trash and vanilla drivers from the hardware manufacturer (Realtek, from memory?) are way better, Norton is obviously trash, and Killer networking is trash. At the moment I have the Steelseries Engine, Dragon Centre and MSI Colour thingo running, which all provide useful functionality.

This leads me to a couple of questions I have, which I hope someone can answer:

1. The main benefit to me of Dragon Centre is that is has custom fan speed profiles. Is there a light weight alternative that doesn't have a nightmarishly bad interface? E.g. will Afterburner do the same job, but better?

2. Likewise, is there some way to have one of the MSI screen profiles always running (specifically, sRGB which is actually accurate and very nice) without having to run the stupid app every time the machine boots?

5. caitsith01

Reputations:
    I got a good Crumpler bag they do that fits a 17" laptop, I think the model was "Folio A3" or similar. Looks nice enough for professional use, and fits a mouse and the power supply in the side pocket but is still basically not much bigger than the machine.

6. montobrah

Reputations:
    e

7. caitsith01

Reputations:
    I've actually never experienced coil whine before, so I don't know what I'm listening for. I do get a weird noise when (oddly) I visit certain websites and at no other time. Seems to be java or something rampaging away in the background, or possibly something about the interface with the monitor when there's lots of white on the screen (my plasma TV actually makes noise when mostly white is on the screen too...). The noise is a sort of high pitched whir, fairly steady.

Actually - just listened to a demo of coil whine on a video - it's definitely not that. And I'm really sensitive to high frequency noise, so I'm sure I'd notice.

Re gaming, I don't know how anyone can hear anything over the fans!

My noise on my original laptop was most noticeable when the CPU (but not necessarily GPU) had warmed up for a while. After that, moving the mouse using the trackpad resulted in a variable, slightly crackly/chirpy noise, which was also audible at other times. A bit like the coil whine sound, but more buzzy/crackly. Also a bit like a dying hard disk, even when there was no HDD activity.

8. montobrah

Reputations:
    e

9. montobrah

Reputations:
    e

10. Enclave

Enclave Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just an FYI I undervolted my GS73 CPU to -160mv and it brought the temps down from high eighties to 70celsius under full load with Prime95

hmscott likes this.