The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. dragonxi

dragonxi Newbie

Reputations:
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~~ right... thanks, i'll follow up when i get the laptop~~

hmscott likes this.
  2. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gs73 supposedly has 3 fans?

In Dragon Center it only shows 2 fans, CPU and GPU

You can only control those 2 fans in the settings.

So where's the 3rd fan?

montobrah likes this.
  3. dragonxi

dragonxi Newbie

Reputations:
    (I won't have this laptop until in two days.)

But I believe the two fans next to GPU are controlled simultaneously, i.e. they are always at the same speed.

montobrah likes this.
  4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    the gpu fans work as a pair

montobrah likes this.
  5. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have found Dragon Center profiles buggy. Especially Sport. Audio hangs and even some mouse stutters occur.

I like Dragon Center as a central monitoring device so I choose to run it with Power Options which default to Windows settings of High or Balanced etc. I do use custom fan settings with 100% as the 4th stage on both CPU and GPU. Without this is noticed the CPU hitting 95c easily. Now it's 89c max so far.

I have xboost off and monitor color set to Gamer with a slightly warm tint. Gamer seems to be the brightest setting.

Most intense games I'm playing at max is SW Battlefront but anti aliasing off or else it crashes. And Witcher 3 at max. All run beautifully and I'm never going back to a smaller screen than 17 inch. I still have my GS60 15INCH and it just feels so small and cramped now.

montobrah likes this.
  6. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone 100% coil whine free?

7. cgeorgescu

cgeorgescu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got (finally) the GS734K, came with the AUO IPS panel but it shows very strong color banding, every gradient shows as a series of distinct bands, it's awful.
    Even the default MSI desktop background shows bands of grey instead of a gradient to the right, where it fades to (almost) black. The red "explosion" around "MSI" is made of separate red circles instead of a gradient.
    The MSI DragonCenter and all that software have lots of gray gradients but, on my screen, they all show like separate gray bands. On the MSI website itself, that gray gradient menu is made of 7 distinct horizontal grey bands on my screen.

Until now I tried:
    - resetting the default W10;
    - uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia and intel drivers;
    - playing with the TrueColor software;
    - installing a completely different W10 from different media;
    - booting W10 into the safest possible mode, without any drivers and software;
    - installing Ubuntu (yeah);
    - installing back the original W10 from restore.
    Same problem every time.

For example, when I start the W10 color calibration tool (that one with the guy and the black/white shirt), the black shirt is a series of distinct gray/grayer bands no matter what I do. The banding is awful on darker tones and less of a problem on lighter ones.

With a screen testing software, the gradient test on my screen starts with 1cm-wide dark-grey bars then (instead of, you know, a gradient).
    For example or a website like http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php... On my old cheap laptop it shows as a gradient, on this new expensive monster it's a list of separate gray bands.

Anybody having the same problem?

8. cgeorgescu

Reputations:
    GS73 Stealth Pro 4K from XoticPC, has the AUO IPS panel but it shows heavy banding, every gradient shows like very distinct bands of grays (it's excessive on darker tones, more acceptable on lighter ones).
    I tried installing a fresh W10, then a W7, then W10 back, playing with True Color, booting with or without the drivers loaded, upgrading BIOS/EC, no change.
    What should I do next?

9. cgeorgescu

Reputations:
    Another smaller problem, not related to display banding one:
    - bought this GS73 4K from XoticPC;
    - I asked them, on chat, if the default SSD is PCIe, as it says on msi.com. They said yes, I also got the copy of this chat through email;
    - I ordered it with the default SSD, the only customisation was a 2TB HDD instead of 1TB;
    - the MSI sticker on the palm rest says PCIe SSD (without any "optional" under it);
    - but it came with a SATA SSD.

Is this normal, is this GS73 Stealth Pro 4K expected to come with a SATA SSD by default, or is it a "trick" of XoticPC?

hmscott likes this.
  10. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    hmscott likes this.