The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. slickjsp

slickjsp Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Proud owner of the GS73VR here. Had it for about a month games flawlessly and love everything about it however I noticed this weird (hard drive spinning?) type of noise when i play a video. When I pause it the sound becomes almost non existant but it's still there. Anyone else with this issue? Could it be from Realtek or Nahimic? I'm already out of the 30 day return period and MSI says the turn around time will be 10-25 business days and that is not acceptable for me as I use it for business as well. Also I can hear something inside the laptop when i move it side to side, it sounds like maybe 1 screw is loose but I can't be sure. Please help :(

2. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is it on the upper right(edit)? If so, it's coil whine from the cpu.

3. slickjsp

slickjsp Newbie

Reputations:
    Ahh it does seem like it is from the upper right but I would have to check again. Damn I didn't think mine had coil whine since I always gamed on it with headphones on. What do you think is the sound internally? The loose screw type thing. It doesn't make the noise all the time but once in awhile its there.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

4. Derek712

Reputations:
    Yeah, there are a couple noises with this Skylake CPU unfortunately. One is the noise you're hearing and another is heard through a higher pitch and generally through the fan. It's across all systems I've had with that CPU.

Not sure about the internal noise. Could be a broken plastic tab or something. You could open it up to remove it but it might be a lot of work if it's under the motherboard.

5. thefatapple

thefatapple Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    To those who uninstalled Dragon center and stuff, what about SCM?

Also if I uninstall dragon center, how can I keep my turbo/boost CPU speeds (as opposed to stock speed)? What about the FN keys? This thread has been very educational so thanks to everyone.

And what's x-boost? First time hearing about that!

hmscott likes this.
  6. Derek712

Reputations:
    Afterburner will let you overclock. I personally just leave it alone since the overclock isn't all that much.

I don't have SCM installed either.

Fn keys work fine. I think those are bundled with SteelSeries, which is the only MSI app I have installed.

thefatapple and hmscott like this.
  7. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i have another noise that is not so bothersome but definitely there. bottom left corner near the mic/headphones port there will randomly be a hard disk type noise HOWEVER i have removed the hard disk and replaced it with an EVO 1tb ssd. i have heard it with the speakers completely muted (lowered volume when i heard it) and also with fans on high and low and off. it sounds like static mixed with hard disk noises, very faint, and if the fans on high you cannot hear it at all.

heard it with Nahamic installed and uninstalled. so i don't think it's related to that.

right now i'm typing i cannot hear it so it is random, if i can replicate it i will post back later.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You want to disable x-boost, both options - they generate a load to fool the OS into better throughput, but for some reason stays loaded and active when no or low activity is happening and creates a constant 20% - 100% CPU load.

This phantom CPU load has confounded many until the X-boost function of MSI Dragon Gaming Center options were found to be the culprits - before this completely uninstalling MSI DGC was the only solution.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    thefatapple likes this.
  9. thefatapple

thefatapple Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wanted to chime in and confirm that uninstalling Dragon Center gave me substantial FPS boosts in games. I kept SCM because I've gotten used to it -- removing it didn't seem to affect performance at all (though please let me know if it does affect performance). I didn't use Afterburner or any other form of OC. I'm on Win10 using the latest Nvidia drivers.

Are there any alternatives to Dragon Center? It's not worth the performance cost but I do miss it.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Acerbhattaclostmypassword

Acerbhattaclostmypassword Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone try undervolting to help it run cooler?

hmscott likes this.