The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. toxotis70

toxotis70 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also Uninstalled everything and use Fraps for fpa display.
    I don't have any problems now....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  3. Defcon-5

Defcon-5 Newbie

Reputations:
    what cases/bags/sleeves have people bought for their gs73? i'm keen on getting something slim and protective to transport my laptop :)
    thanks

4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah. I'm not sure if it was jus the first batch or if I just got really lucky on this one. The one I have now still has gape but nowhere near as bad as the one I had before. I can get a business card in a couple spots on the front but not all. The front edge is definitely the worst. I can get a piece of paper in some spots on the side but it's 10x better than before when I could slide a business card throughout the whole thing. The spot on my headphone jacks fit 2 business cards before and now it's pretty much touching. I'll try and get some pictures later but my DSLR is at home and I'm not there right now.

CPU temps 50 at idle seem a little high to me but it depends on your ambient temp in the room. Mine is 38 right now and my room is 21.6(71F) while typing this. I have Dragon Center deleted though and that makes a slight difference. Their power plans do funny things and the fan profiles are also overridden by the software. Might be something to try.

CPU coil whine on the i7-6700HQ is very typical. The extent is random and subjective but it's pretty much always there. As someone pointed out it might be worsened in these models because there are holes in the top.

Your CPU stabilized at 2.6Ghz while I was able to stabilize a little higher on Prime95. It's still pretty normal and that's a test that is not realistic at all to what normal programs do. For almost every other program you use, you shouldn't be throttling below 3.1Ghz at all. Regardless, try removing Dragon Center and see if that helps improve it.

The battery thing is normal for MSI. It's supposed to help lengthen the life of the battery. I go through laptops so quick though that I can't tell you if it makes a difference though.

montobrah likes this.
  5. Dark_

Dark_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ran the Heaven benchmark (10min) and played BFH (15min) to monitor temps, I didn't monitor cpu clock but the cpu temps were fine.

Unity
    unity_temps_gs73vr.PNG

BFH
    bfh120_temps_gs73vr.PNG

montobrah likes this.
  6. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  7. batboygotoj

batboygotoj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do I get into the bios without the UEFI setting box in advance options? I think I changed to legacy now that option is gone. Thanks in advance.

8. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    del at the boot screen

batboygotoj likes this.
  9. Gildor

Gildor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my GS73-025. While I am a reasonably experienced computer type, I am a noob when it comes to MSI computers. With new computers, I like to nuke the OS and go with clean installs. My question is what I should do after that, before I start installing programs, if anything? For instance I saw someone earlier in the thread talk about installing the Steel Series drivers from the SS website. Any other suggestions? While this is not intended to be a desktop replacement, it will still be a general purpose computer used for productivity, a little video/photo manipulation and of course, some gaming. Right now I don't plan on any overclocking or replacing any of the stock hardware.

Thanks for any suggestions!

hmscott likes this.
  10. batboygotoj

batboygotoj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-tweaks-and-fixes-index-post-1.779394/

I stumbled upon this thread and 1st thing I did was turn off those privacy stuff on windows 10 with O&O shut up. Afterwards install all my drivers/programs (except for dragon center, all drivers from MSI). There's a new version for killer suite you may want to check that out. And just any other stuff you want to put on there antivirus/malware wallpaper configurations etc. then once everything is where you want it to be you can create an image in case you ever need to revert back to it.

hmscott likes this.