The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. MaxHut

MaxHut Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

I have this baby like I told you 2 weeks ago, and I NEED YOUR HELP !

Everything is fine except the HDD !
    I just started to stock some movies and pictures and it is awfully slow !!

I know it is a 5400RPM but it is even lagging when I play a simple movie with VLC (if I put it on the HDD not on the SSD) !! There is something wrong here !!
    (the movie is laging every 10 sec, and if I copy paste photos on the HDD it s gonna take 1hour for 100 pictures.............)

What can I do to have a more in depth diagnosis and/or try to fix that ?

Thanks for your help, I am a bit disapointed ... :(

3. John Bennett

John Bennett Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't have a link handy, but Google "SeaTools for Windows" - it's Seagate's hard drive diagnostic tool. I also had a horribly slow HDD, and it failed the short diagnostic test in SeaTools with a code that indicated likely bad sectors.

4. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok new issue. tried gaming on battery power. set everything to maximum in the windows power mode (high) and even adjusted min/max processer state 100% and then went to NVIDIA and set that to preferred and showed tray icon to see if it is being used. i then played Witcher 3 and alternated between plugged in and battery. it was clear to see the fps drop when i was on battery and as soon as i plugged in it was smooth as silk.

what gives?

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Does the symptom only occurs on the HDD but not on the SSD?

6. boy

boy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can you downscale to 1080p when gaming so the games will run better (on a non 120hz version) ?

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, you can always downscale the resolution to 1080P since it will place lesser load on the GPU.

8. MaxHut

MaxHut Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you mean you got the same problem ? What did you do ?

Yes, the SSD works perfectly. If I move my lagging movie from the HD to the SSD for example, the movie plays normally.

9. cheebee333

cheebee333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, I have the 120hz screen version. When I game on my external monitor I get framerate issue. Is it because gpu thinks I am using a 120hz screen?

Do we need to install msi software to get the matrix display working? Cheers

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

10. John Bennett

John Bennett Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I had the same problem. I was able to download stuff to the HDD just fine, but then installing it from there to the SSD was agonizingly slow - the Windows 10 Anniversary Update took hours overnight, for instance. I initially just disabled the HDD in Device Manager, since I was considering upgrading it to a second SSD anyway. A couple weeks later, I tried reenabling it, and it inexplicably worked just fine. I ended up having to return it within 30 days of purchase for unrelated reasons, but hope to be buying another one soon.

My suggestions:

1. Run SeaTools and ATTO Disk Benchmark to diagnose and gather evidence of your performance problems.

2. If you're still able to exchange it where you bought it, do so.

3. If you're unable to exchange it, contact MSI for service or replacement. Fortunately, the HDD is much easier to replace yourself than the SSD, so they may just send you a replacement drive.

4. If you prefer to upgrade, pick up either a larger/faster (7200 RPM) HDD or SSD (SATA-III, 2.5" 7mm) and swap it out. Note that despite the scary warranty sticker, if you're in the US, this upgrade will *not* void your warranty (provided you don't damage anything in the process).

Hope this helps...