The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. D4nthr4x

D4nthr4x Newbie

Reputations:
    I changed the thermal paste on mine to a liquid metal paste and the low 80s is where I see the temp get up to on some of the more strenuous tests and I don't believe the fan is spinning up very high when that happens either. But I believe the thermal profile on the laptop allows for 90c and a bit higher without issue.

3. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I know what it is and sounds like. I had a GE62 that had coil whine but improved with turning off c-states.

This problem is not present on the GT62. I had 2 GT62s and I doubt either of them not having the issue is the exception. It may not be present in new gt72/73 either as I haven't heard of anyone with that issue on those either. The motherboards are different from previous gens.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Calles89

Calles89 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've only played about half an hour of No Man's Sky so far. CPU and GPU temps were in the low 80s. Externally, the bottom of the laptop was uncomfortably hot to touch. If it had been on my lap I would have been uncomfortable. The keyboard was hot but not uncomfortably so. The fans were not quite as quiet as I had been led to believe by other posts, but they were quieter than my last gaming laptop (A first generation Alienware M14x).

This screen is gorgeous. I'm a little hesitant to stick with it because the battery life is really poor. I'm getting about 90 minutes on a charge when I've read that the FHD screen model can almost get 4 hours.

At idle the fans and heat really aren't going away. I think this might be due to something else. I can't seem to get the CPU usage below 100% no matter what I do. At first it was those indexing processes. I think I figured that out, but now whatever else I'm using seems to be constantly maxing out the CPU. Steam and chrome are using as much CPU as possible at all times. This could also be why my batter life is so poor.

The time I spent in No Man's Sky was silky smooth with everything maxed out on 1080p. I also installed skyrim and tried it out at 4k just to see how it would be. I wasn't running fraps but it was somewhere above 30 at all times, at least.

I can hear the tiniest bit of coil whine while plugged in if I put my ear right next to the machine. Otherwise it's imperceptible.

I'm thinking that the zooming thing is some variance with drivers. Maybe microsoft's own drivers just handle pinch to zoom differently? I used a Yoga 2 Pro for the last few years that behaved exactly the way this machine does.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Microsoft, elan and synaptics all handle pinch to zoom differently. They all also have different gestures. I personally fine it really irritating because there's one different item from each of them I really like and dislike. I wish they would just let us decide what gestures we want.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Calles89

Calles89 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just as a quick update to my last post:

I went through and uninstalled just about everything that came pre-installed and now my machine is only using about 8% CPU while browsing and downloading stuff in steam. Fans are inaudible. Temperature is perfectly comfortable on my lap.

hmscott likes this.
  7. montobrah

Reputations:
    e

hmscott likes this.
  8. John Bennett

John Bennett Newbie

Reputations:
    You might want to try downloading and installing the latest Nahamic 2 update from MSI's website. I was having problems with Nahamic 2 as well, but this update's release notes explicitly say it fixes a compatibility problem with Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

The update requires complete uninstallation of the earlier version anyway, so you're already halfway there if you decide to give it a shot. :cool:

hmscott likes this.
  9. montobrah

Reputations:
    e

hmscott likes this.
  10. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    FYI, if you guys want to have better sound, uninstall that Nahimic crap and install these older Realtek drivers: http://download.msi.com/nb_drivers/ad/7368_PG403_Win8.1_Win8_Win7_WHQL_6.0.1.7368.zip

This will allow you to use an unlocked Realtek Audio Manager and access the full EQ instead of the watered down Nahimic. You lose access to your subwoofer control, but to be honest, the control on the last one was crap since bass wasn't audible below 70Hz. With this I can hear bass as low as 35 Hz and I feel it on the bottom of my laptop. It's like I have a whole different speaker system now.

I turned on virtual surround, loudness EQ and set the EQ to live. Difference is night and day. I just hope Windows updates don't kill it. I need to find a way to prevent it from automatically updating.

Edit: I'm just now noticing that the headphone jack has to be switched manually after this. It also doesn't sound as good as before. I'll have to look into this further.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    XGIII, John Bennett and montobrah like this.