The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. toxotis70

toxotis70 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    you can try Dragon Center, and put the fans to maximum, or speed cooler....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    praetorianx, XGIII and hmscott like this.
  3. dbgreyson

dbgreyson Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello All!

New to the forum! Glad I came across it. It's good to be in a community, all with some love for this beautiful machine!!!

Quick question:
    I've been seeing issues with sleep states, hibernation and blank/black screens. It appears that when the machine sleeps or hibernates (and occasionally when the screen just goes blank after a time out), the screen won't come back on. I haven't tested it with an external monitor yet, but am tempted. I called tech support and they had me upgrade both the integrated and nvidia drivers, but that didn't seem to have any affect. Is anyone seeing anything similar or is this unique to me?

I am using the unit for video editing and everyday business use. Occasional gaming is a fun plus. Thanks in advance for any help!

Don

hmscott likes this.
  4. acerbhattac

acerbhattac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

that's amazing. have you experienced troubles with microstutters or coil whine etc on the 4k like others have mentioned here? as well, how loud/hot does this laptop get?

i'm thinking of either getting th gs73vr 4k, or the gigabyte p57x v6. i want to game, do amateur photo editing and office work, but don't want a jet engine/blast furnace combo. and these two computers seem to be within my budget here in canada.

hmscott likes this.
  5. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    acerbhattac and hmscott like this.
  6. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Like the previous poster said, they all have coil whine, especially the i7-6700hq. I've experienced the stuttering on graphics switching issue but not the issue during gaming. I'm not convinced it's an "msi only" problem though. It's way too early to rule out a driver issue and there isn't enough info out there to see if all optimus+ pascal laptops are experiencing this.

acerbhattac likes this.
  7. Calles89

Calles89 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    Forgive me if this has been addressed previously. I did read through this thread (multiple times) as I was deciding which notebook to buy.

I just got the 4k GS73VR and I have a few questions I'm hoping you all can help with.

1) My CPU usage is constantly around 100%. I've seen some people mention something about search indexing but I don't quite understand what they're talking about. How can I fix this? The processes using CPU are windows search protocol host and windows search filter host.

2) On my surface 3 the pinch to zoom gesture on the touchpad functions the same way as if I were using the touchscreen. The pinch to zoom on this touchpad is using the "zoom" feature within browsers and scaling everything up instead of just zooming in on the page. Is there a way to fix this?

I really appreciate your help and if anyone has questions about the 4k model let me know.

acerbhattac likes this.
  8. acerbhattac

Reputations:
    I've got questions as I'm still deciding on whether to get this or the 1070 gigabyte with known keyboard heating issues or the massive clevo p67x. Having a 17" screen is important for me:

1) How hot does it get? Can you work/game with it on your lap or does it get to hot? Does the keyboard get hot?

2) How loud does it get to your ears?

3) How does the screen look?

4) How's the performance in games?

5) How's your coil whine?

Could your zooming/scaling problem be related to touchpad settings? I found this thread: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/X0wTNQpfl2k

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  9. acerbhattac

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'll look around for the 120Hz screen: I'm not sure it is available in Canada.

10. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just a chime in on this coil whine issue. Neither of my GT62 laptops Skylaje 6700hq had any coil whine. Total silence. So no it does not happen with all Skylake laptops. No other GT62 user has reported coil whine either.