The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Drinand

Drinand Newbie

Reputations:
    Just went through this very process. You have to do the over the phone activation, call microsoft, explain that you've changed the hard drive (SSD). Took me all of about 5 minutes to sort out.

hmscott likes this.
  2. D4nthr4x

D4nthr4x Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where to buy an extra power supply for this? I wonder if the Razer one will work, it's 19.8v and a little lower amperage (and only 165w). I think Asus also makes a slightly slimmer power brick that is closer to 19v that might also work. Would rather get an official one though.

3. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I tested my old razer 150w one and it works fine. 165w should be ok for the most part, but you probably won't be able to fully load both the gpu and gpu without a little occasional throttle. Turning the screen brightness and other things down would probably prevent it. Who knows, you may never notice.

I spent a good deal if time hooked up to a power meter hooked to my outlet. The max I saw was 163 watts but that doesn't mean it didn't creep higher every now and then. I was trying my best to max it out, so I had performance mode turned on, screen at full brightness, etc. You really have to get the gpu and cpu at full load to hit where I hit. Furmark and prime 95 probably would have pushed it to the limits.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just so you know, this is how people fry their laptops... plugging in other make power adapters hoping they work.

Some times the polarity is reversed (I can't believe I said that) between the pins of the connectors, and you can do serious damage quickly this way.

Get the *correct* part made by the manufacturer, the same one you have that came with the laptop.

You should be able to order one from where you got your laptop, or an online vendor like Amazon carries them.

IDK what the part number is for the model you have, but look it up online.

Every single time I see someone asking about a cheaper 3rd party power supply I read later from them or another person on that thread that they bought one and it gets so hot - etc etc - and it failed.

You can't cheap out on power supplies :)

praetorianx, Dark_ and montobrah like this.
  5. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Start listening to loud rock and roll music for hours every day at high volume, those annoying coil whine noises won't even register after a while :D

Killer has a new Sept 15th driver release, that might help...

Killer Suite (uninstall the old version and reboot before installing this)
    http://www.killernetworking.com/product-support/driver-downloads/item/killer-suite
    • Last update: 15 September 2016
    • Version: 1.1.62.1727 Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
    Or, if you don't have luck with that, uninstall the Suite, reboot, and try the drivers only version:

Standard Drivers (no Killer features)
    Updated on 15 August 2016
    http://www.killernetworking.com/product-support/driver-downloads/standard-drivers

Maybe wait on that version for the Sept 15 Suite release to make it to the Drivers Only page...

RMXO and montobrah like this.
  7. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Gotta love Windows 10, it's the Free Gift that Keeps on Giving :eek::confused::D

praetorianx likes this.
  9. Toni Martir

Toni Martir Newbie

Reputations:
    The history of my coil whine:
    - The coil whine from my new system was noticeable only after replacing the noisy mechanical hard drive.
    - Using Dragon Center (Shift), on Sport mode it was specially noticeable while moving the mouse using the touch pad or scrolling the chrome window.
    - Changed to Eco mode and coil whine disapeared but CPU Turbo was disabled in this mode.
    - Changed to Power Options mode and coil whine disapeared and CPU TurboBoost worked.
    - I do not hear coil whine while gaming maybe because fans usually start.

hmscott likes this.
  10. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Got mine on Sat and I replaced the M2 SSD, RAM and 1TB HDD with the following: Samsung PM951 512GB NVME M2 SSD, G-Skill Ripjaw 32GB RAM and Seagate 2TB HDD.Did a fresh install of W10 Edu x64 and experienced a little delay in opening things, so I updated the lastest Killer Suite drivers (thanks hmscott) but forgot to do some testing before going to bed last night. Will report more tonight when it get a chance to do some testing.

PS: Changing the SSD / RAM was extremely easy, unscrew a bunch of screws and unplug some cables.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    hmscott likes this.