The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  2. Drinand

Drinand Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi had all sorts of hell with overthrottling to begin with. Google Drive set it off as well, once sync'd though everything was happy. I updated all the drivers which solved the killer nic issue. Removed as many startup processes as possible and ended up reinstalling the OS twice before the system was more responsive, ran cool and didn't go batshit insane every time task manager was opened.

I'll admit, I did think of returning it before the issues were sorted out, now its just a case of upgrading the M2 for greater storage, battery life and no more stutters (my previous OCZ drive had the exact same symptoms, so fingers crossed the Samsung solves it). Agreed, the keyboard feels very tactile, just sucks that unless you hit the space bar in the right spot it ends up one giant string akin to a hash tag.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Can anyone with the 4k version comment on the battery life?

hmscott likes this.
  4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's not going to be dramatic in difference but it will definitely be shorter than non-4K screens.

5. toxotis70

toxotis70 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    does anyone knows how to use only Nvidia card and disable intel vga ?

6. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How did you force the laptop to use the GTX for everything? Did you set it in the NV control panel?

-Sent from my TMO Galaxy Note 7

7. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i have received mine from newegg and i must say i was worried about the display after reading this. he is wrong. i have it sitting next to my GS60 with the 1080p IPS screen. the GS73 is brighter and has better color accuracy. viewing angles are almost similar EXCEPT for when the screen is tilted back past the 90 degree angle at which point the IPS screen is far superior for viewing clearly and the GS73 starts to wash out. i would guess around 120 degrees open and it is washed out badly.

however i have never used any laptop at such an extreme angle so i don't see any functional issue. so far happy with it.

hmscott and RMXO like this.
  8. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the laptop has Optimus, you can't. You'll have to get laptops with G-Sync certified panels. For G-Sync to operate properly the internal display will be entirely wired to the dGPU.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Drinand

Drinand Newbie

Reputations:
    Basically I set it in the nVidia control panel, that's the best you can do. I've just installed the Samsung 950 Pro with authorisation from MSI to do so without voiding the warranty. Works like a gem, feels smoother, no more stuttering... proves my point that the Toshiba (OCZ) is a pos. Had the same issues with an old Asus some years ago. From now on its Samsung or Intel for me.

EDIT: Note, getting to the M2 and RAM slots on this is a painful process... take off EVERY pieceof sticky tape on the board and holding down fan cables. I found two screws hiding from me that held it down. The board comes off with the fans attached as the heat pipes are fastened to the CPU/board. My coworkers were having bets as to whether it would start up again. Patience and beer helps, take that for what its worth.

hmscott likes this.
  10. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    DukeCLR and hmscott like this.