The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Has anyone gotten the 4k model?

2. Tr1pp

Tr1pp Newbie

Reputations:
    So I really want this laptop for my gaming and designing needs BUT i feel the 4k IPS too much at 17.3" and scaling windows and each program i use is going to be an annoying and imperfect work around, on the other hand the it seems clear, despite my hoping otherwise, that the 120hz screen is a TN and that im going to be disappointed with the colour reproduction.

So I have two questions.

1) Has anyone seen the GS73VR with the 3rd monitor option, the 1080p IPS panel (none 120hz) which is shown as optional on the MSI website, I cant find it anywhere.

2) I know this is a bit drastic but how practical would it be to replace the TN panel with another, IPS, monitor such ass one from the GE series laptops

Thanks

3. Derek712

Reputations:
    Assuming it fits, it's just a matter of removing the bezel. You also need to do your due diligence and make sure the connectors are the same on the screens. It's not hard but tedious because the bezel has plastic clips and double sided tape holding it on. If money is no object, order a replacement bezel from Tom Ho at MSI in advance. Then you have nothing to fear.

If you do this, please try and take pictures and post what you did.

Btw, if you get time, can you please open hwinfo and post the part number and model of what screen you have?

4. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    would a 15mm laptop hdd fit in this laptop?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  5. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  6. Derek712

Reputations:
    the stutter might coincide with when optimus switches gpus. Try opening fraps or something that forces the gpu on and see if it continues. This is a known issue with the gs63 and 43 as well. I'm not sure if it's across other devices as well.

DukeCLR likes this.
  7. botman_jr.

botman_jr. Newbie

Reputations:
    I really want to pull the trigger on the GS73VR, but is anyone else worried about the response time?

BtW is 9.6ms and GtG is 28ms, I know this is very fast for a laptop, but shouldn't the response time be < 8.3ms on a 120hz screen for all frames to display correctly?

hmscott likes this.
  8. Tr1pp

Tr1pp Newbie

Reputations:
    I think I read some where you need a 9mm hdd

hmscott and RMXO like this.
  9. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    e

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  10. Drinand

Drinand Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Bought this sucker as a work laptop replacement and I'm quite happy with it... with the exception of the below niggles;

1. The space bar responsiveness isn't there unless you're tapping right in the middle section, off to the side isn't recognised

2. Bloatware up the ying yang - seriously I had to spend a solid day removing/fine tuning things and forcing the use of non-intel graphics (the GTX is now used for everything)

3. The 5400RPM hard drive - I removed this and it cleared up a lot of stuttering issues, although there are still some when moving between apps or shutting them down. The M2 is an OCZ rebranded Toshiba and I believe it to be the cause of this

4. I'm in the process of replacing the M2 with a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB drive... which I'm having a mission doing

Does anyone know of any resources I can use to double check how this puppy comes apart, as I've got to the point where I can almost get the motherboard out, however the heat pipes are pretty solidly stuck to the components... as I can't lift the board enough to see what it is still attached to, I'm worried if I try to push my luck it will break something - bye bye $3000 laptop. Instructions or a youtube link would be amazing if anyone has stumbled upon such a gem!

hmscott likes this.