The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Dark_

Dark_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My GS73VR showed up today. Booted it up and was instantly put off by the sluggishness thanks to all the bloatware. I shut it down and ran to my local B&M shop for a 950 Pro 512GB.

Just finished installing the ssd and getting ready to install win10. Just like the GS60 I had in the past, replacing the memory (or ssd in this case) required you to remove the main board from the chassis.

Attached Files:

RMXO, minijaws and hmscott like this.
  2. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Isn't the operating system and bloat ware installed on the 256gb ssd and not the 1tb HD that you are replacing?

First even with bloat ware the ssd should respond quickly. If not can't you just Uninstall the bloat?

Second replacing the HD is fine but I don't see how that is going to speed up your operating system it'll just speed up the files located there. The OS is already on the fast 256gb ssd.

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Congrats on your purchase, which GT73VR sub model # do you have?

4. D4nthr4x

D4nthr4x Newbie

Reputations:
    The built in ssd is some crap kingston sata ssd, I put in an Intel 600p because it's cheap and faster than sata (and made by intel) seems to repond a lot better. The bloat is pretty terrible.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Those are interesting new drives, almost as cheap as the cheapest M.2 SATA, but 3x faster Read and 1x as fast Write.

Please let us know how you like it over time. :)

Which size did you get? The 1TB is $399 MSRP, but newegg only has up to the 512GB right now for $219.99(!Went up $20 on page refresh!)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&cm_re=intel_600p_m.2-_-20-167-412-_-Product

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  6. D4nthr4x

D4nthr4x Newbie

Reputations:
    I got the 512gb it was $190 when I bought it. I'm also going to use it in a computer build for someone. I trust Intel to make quality products, they've so far been the only company to properly implement power loss protection on consumer drives.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Does it have a temperature probe on the M.2? What is the idle and highest temp reading from a xxGB copy?

The price went up $20 in just the few minutes we have been posting, must be popular :)

8. Dark_

Reputations:
    Everything was installed on the SSD, the HDD was empty. Without having experienced it first I would've absolutely agreed with you but the system was no-joke choking its way though all the software crap during the initial boot/configuration.

Also, I've replaced both. The m.2 was replaced with a 950 pro 512gb and the 2.5 was replaced with an 850 evo 1tb.

Thanks! GS73VR Stealth Pro-025

Actual model of the original SSD:
    Kingston RBU-SNS8152S3/256GG5

It's not a bad stick..

9. Dark_

Reputations:
    Well, had a little get together with friends yesterday where I was able to get some game time in on the new laptop.

Performance was fantastic (120fps (vsync) @1080p highest settings in Overwatch).

I did notice the GPU temps were 84-91c throughout which seems a bit on the high side but I never noticed any performance issues. This is with a new fan curve that should have them in the 95% range.

So today, I've pulled the system apart again and I'll be applying fresh thermal paste (as5) to see if it makes any difference.

10. sippelmc2

sippelmc2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll just add my .02 to this thread. Yesterday I received my "202" model (1080). The build quality is really pretty good and the performance after cleanup is pretty outstanding. That said I'm pretty disappointed and will be sending it back to newegg premier. The display is just not up to par for my standards and all of the "pseudo-TN" posts are spot on. There is way too much washout and color shift to be acceptable. The 120hz didn't feel like a good 120hz monitor either. Honestly I was playing and compared it to my 2015 GS 15" stealth pro and that display is ridiculously good looking compared to the VR. So...I knew based on mixed reports to expect it but that's fine back it goes.

I will probably then just wait for the EVGA SC 17 1070 to be released. I asked them via email and unfortunatly it has no Gsync and no upgraded 3.0 usb port (basically they just upgraded the cooling and gfx card) but that will meet my needs as I've seen that display and liked it very much.

Take that fwiw. I do lots of work that requires a quality monitor so this just didn't cut it. I think the 120hz is sort of subpar and the viewing angles and uniformity are definately an issue, at least for me. Post #121 is spot on -- definately a TN and I feel sort of deceived by "wide viewing angles" ads. It is better than most but if you think you can live with just wash out from the bottom view think twice as it is very obvious at normal angles. Side by side also has slight wash out.

I'm not whining or anything as I really like MSI, its just that the display panel is a miss for me. Gluck.

hmscott likes this.