The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. nyichiban

nyichiban Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Honestly I haven't had any issues with mine acting as a desktop replacement. But since I wanted more portability I went and got the GS63VR and gave the GS73 to my friend who still uses it as a desktop replacement in Thailand. No issues at all, still going strong. The only thing I feel that is the issues witht he GS73 and GS63 is the keyboard. Recently got the GS65 and the keyboard is really nice and the removal of the num pad was perfect. On the 17inch the num pad is fine.

2. seahawk10

seahawk10 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    seahawk10 likes this.
  4. aspertionDilbert

aspertionDilbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bit of a late reply.

I've had my GS73VR since Oct/Nov16 ish, and I had Win7 running almost immediately following most of the generic advice you'll find around on this thread and other discussions about Win7 on newer hardware.

The hardest single part for me was finding the right combo of drivers and stuff to slipstream into the Win7 installer USB stick.

I think it was pretty much:

- Bios setting (forgotten which they are, I can find out for anyone interested, but again, probably on this thread somewhere)

- USB stick prep for Win7 install, with slipstreamed drivers (still have the loose files so can let you know which they are, but in the end I think I just dropped all the drivers for Win7/10 off the MSI website into the installer)

- MSI drivers installed once in Win7

- Only things that don't work hardware wise are the thunderbolt port iirc

Totally solid experience here.

Having Win7 was essential for me. I run Win7 and Win10 dual boot and they play nicely enough together.

Win10 has got better since 2016, and it's at a point now where I'm 50:50 on dropping Win7 except on a backup kinda machine to do those tasks where I need 7.

However, I still feel like I need to keep 10 on a tight leash wrt my firewall. I wouldn't let Win10 ever just have an open and free connection to the internet.
    Having to baby sit the OS is still a painful experience, if you want to guarantee up-time for professional work.

5. domo46670

domo46670 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I like using the computer in sport mode for gaming/multimedia use. However i noticed that the cpu temps are usually in the upper 70s-80s even when idle. Is that something to worry about?

6. dovedescent7

dovedescent7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ive also been experiencing overheating with mine.
    I've reapplied thermal paste after two years to no avail.
    My model is the GS73 7700hq/1050ti and i cant view the fan speed in bios or in dragon center. I can only set the fans to go faster.
    Speedfan wont even show current fan speed.

Is this the same for everyone? Can we not see the current fan speed for this laptop?