The Official MSI GS73VR Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by NHF, Aug 23, 2016.

1. NHF

NHF Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, guys:

Welcome to MSI GS73 owners' lounge. I definitely think this is a great combination of power and the mobility. The key reason I choose 17" because I really want to have the 120Hz screen with 5ms response time !!!

I found a MSI 120Hz 5ms video on Youtube:

Equiped with Nvdia Pascal VR Ready graphic card GTX1060

The skus proposed by MSI
    GS73VR 062
    GS73VR 052
    GS73VR 025

They also provide the 4k panel as option
    GS73VR 016

Some support links
    BIOS
    Driver
    Firmware
    Manual
    Utility
    Mouse Driver

Video

Where to buy

MSI Pascal landing page

Comment:

• 3DMARK Fire Strike score: 9489 (test with MSI sporty shift mode)
      • Graohics score: 11 596
      • Graphic test1 : 54.53 FPS
      • Graphic test2: 46.88 FPS
      • Physic scor 9378
      • Physics test 29.77 FPS
      • Combined score: 4047
      • Combined test 18.83 FPS
    • In-game test: Overwatch setting: 1920*1080/ Custom limit FPS/ EPIC graphic quality/ 100% Render Scale/ Local Fog detail Ultra/ Dynamic reflections high
      • FPS:97
      • TEM: 83°C
      • VRM: 1301MB
      • PMG: 61MS
      • RTT: 85MS
      • IND: 24M
    • Noise and temparature: I don't have any device to test noise and temperature, so I only can judge with my perception. The temprature is always acceptable and never overheat during the game. I touch the hotest part with my hand but I just feel warm. According to their product pages, they use 3 fans and 5 heatpipes for the cooling and one of 3 fans is a big fan with very thin blades. Really curious how they put 3 fans in a slim model as GS73. as caitsith01 said, it's quieter than I expect. With AC on on my home, I barely heart the noise when runing the Fire Strike test. With my AC off, I can hear the fan is runing. not really noisy but the frequency is kind of high, which I don't like.

"In progress"

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    dmxt, montobrah and aban714 like this.
  2. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you currently using one? What kind of gaming performance are you getting?

3. NHF

NHF Newbie

Reputations:
    I just ordered from newegg and waiting its arrival. I'm really not good on gaming performance test but I will update the basic test results. I think they claim around 40% or 50% of performance enhencement than 970M.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  4. acerbhattac

acerbhattac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would be very interested in how hot/loud it gets under gaming load, and how hot/loud it is doing ordinary websurf / photo editing / office work.

I was not impressed with the 70 or 72. The gtx 1060 as a design runs hotter than the gpus they had in those.

5. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't wait to hear how you like it. Please keep us updated.

6. aban714

aban714 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice to see this lounge.
    Do add any info that might be useful to the OP. Users who browse these forums, and who are looking for more info on the specific notebook, will really appreciate it as all the info in neatly in one post. Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. caitsith01

caitsith01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had one in my hot little hands, but there was a problem with it. I posted about it over at reddit, so I'll repost here:

bwolmarans, Atma, aqnb and 4 others like this.
  8. aban714

aban714 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @caitsith01, thank you for the review
    I should say, you are more thorough than most of the initial reviews around the web at this time regarding these notebooks hehe kudos for that

Cooling i guess should be essentially similar on the GS63VR and the GS73VR. If im not wrong, both use the same design cooling solution. Its really good to know that your temps were around 60-70c. Im guessing with something like a witcher 3, temps will be lower 80s and high 70s. But im hoping for 80c max . Most of the reviews up until now say around 78c internal temps.

So did you RMA?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

9. NHF

NHF Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks caitsith01 posted the review before I got mine. I will check the problem you mention. nice they took this as DOA. I checked, all MSI 120 Hz panels aren't IPS. It should be wide view TN panel or something with 94% NTSC gamut according the spec chart. Anyway, this doesn't bother me.

10. caitsith01

caitsith01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    MSI agreed to treat it as DOA and so I am entitled to a new one (or I can just cancel what is now effectively a pre-order, because that was the only one in stock at the place I bought it).

I would think the size difference between the 63 and 73 would make the 73 slightly quieter and cooler. Just more materials to absorb and dissipate heat, and more separation between components.