*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. JeanLegi

JeanLegi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I try to find one but till now nothing mate.
    In germany there is https://www.notebook.de/ but they don't offer so much services like hidevolution. regarding the the repasting and some other things.
    And to be honest if you have the money i would recommend to contact @Donald@HIDevolution to clearify your budget and all other topics if you don't do this so far,.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes.

email me your request.

sk3tch likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  4. Telos

Telos Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally someone sharing their fan setup thanks!

5. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm seeing the thermal throttling flag trip as low as 88C Funny thing is it's not actually affecting the CPU frequency if it's hugging that temperature. Could be that the fan speed is just sluggish and catches up with the heat demand just in time.

6. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, I see the same around that temperature mark. I have set my fan profile on the CPUs to be pretty aggressive to combat it, but have not seen any real world issues. The GPU does pretty well so to compensate for the CPU fan being a lot higher, I have that one about 25% slower which does help with the noise quite a bit.

My overall opinion of the GS65 was initially tainted by problems that could have easily been solved by MSI having a better default fan profile within the BIOS. They can learn from Razer (gasp) in that - Razer has been good at releasing new BIOS that have better/more aggressive fan profiles but that are tweaked so they are not "balls out" super fan blowing mode (like the "Cooler Boost" profile).

I imagine we will have a BIOS update soon to address this, because A LOT of people are going to buy a GS65 and start gaming on it with the default "Auto" fan profile and burn their fingers.

Donald@HIDevolution and hmscott like this.
  7. Buffalord

Buffalord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pretty interesting, me and my stock cooling stuff, with the same fan profile and almost the same underfoot ( I can’t reach 155, only 140), mine caps at 83 C with no throttling, so not bad, but it seems your repaste and pads saved you 10C!

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Most software only monitors the peak core temperature once per second so it is not unusual for the peak temperature to be slightly less than the thermal throttling temperature. If a core hits 90°C, even for only a millisecond, it is going to trip the thermal throttling flag within the CPU. It is a much more reliable way to know if any temperature sensor on your CPU package hit 90°C.

Thermal throttling happens so rapidly, hundreds of times per second, that some monitoring software might not be sensitive enough to show you the slow down. When throttling first starts to happen, you will not see a huge drop in MHz unless the CPU heatsink just fell off. Run a TS Log File and it should show you a decrease in MHz when throttling begins. Also check off, "Add Limit Reasons to Log File" in the Options window. The Log File will then confirm the throttling taking place.

9. Buffalord

Buffalord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Btw, can the fans be cleaned without taking the motherboard out?

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    When you have Apply'd the settings and are happy with them Save them and name it, that last named Profile you Save'd or selected will be used at the next boot to Apply settings.

XTU worked great setting a Profile of settings at boot, and then Windows 10 came along and keeps messing with system tools, shutdown / boot state, and XTU catches up just like everything else, so you can run into a situation where XTU won't set the Profile settings at boot.

All you need to do is go into XTU at next boot, select the Profile, Apply, and exit XTU and the systray app, and at next boot XTU should apply those settings automatically.

That's why that thread by @ThatOldGuy was created:

How to automatically under-volt in XTU without opening it
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-under-volt-in-xtu-without-opening-it.802143/

It sounds like your last saved Profile is being used already at startup in XTU, you can Save different Profiles for different running situations and select them Apply and they will be loaded at next boot.

If you crash, for whatever reason, or power off using the power button, basically stopping the normal shutdown, XTU will notice that and assume it's settings might have caused it and won't apply them at the next boot.

I disable Hibernation:

In a Windows CMD window, Start As Administrator:

powercfg /h off

which stops FastStartup and Hybrid Shutdown, and that takes away some of the problematic variation, but even so Windows 10 might cause XTU to not load at startup, so if you run into that try the boot scripts to load the settings.

With Hibernation off the 1x RAM sized cache file C:\hiberfil.sys is also deleted. I also set pagefile.sys to 0 size in Virtual memory when I have 8GB or more memory, to remove that file from the C drive too.

To disable the background monitoring of XTU I exit the systray app at boot and that stops the CPU usage from XTU monitoring. You could also stop the XTU service, but exiting the systray app is enough for me, not sure about Windows 10. :)