*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. DaddyBigTools

DaddyBigTools Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought it from Best Buy. Everything looked perfectly normal when I opened it.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The cushion foam holds top and bottom sides so they may have been depressed to cause a bit of bulging to the middle.
    If this is a concern to you then do an exchange, but most likely it shouldn't have any long-term side effects.

3. vlad2000

vlad2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had this laptop since it was launched and really like it. I bought it because I thought it would garner the kind of enthusiast following that it has. I use it for local CUDA GPU development exclusively in Linux.

It's what, 18months old now, and the CMOS battery recently died (it's a non-rechargeable CR1220 with 2pin 1.25mm connector since you ask - you'll only notice if you accidentally drain main battery to shutdown and have custom boot sequence).

Anyway because it's the first time I need to go to the trouble of removing the upside down motherboard I thought I'd take the opportunity to go to work on it with a Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal repaste. Having done that and despite 399 pages of great info, I still have some unanswered questions about this laptop:

1) There is blue thermal gunk on the 3VRUs/6MOSFETS south of the GPU. I cleaned and applied 1mm Arctic pads instead. Couldn't tell if they made good contact with the heatsink or not. What did everyone else use? - no one ever mentions this.

2) There are 3 SOIC-8 flash chips, all with painted dots, 1xred, 1xpurple and 1xgrey. Which is the BIOS and what are the others?

3) I'd never noticed the pinhole in the back to what I assume is the Embedded Controller reset microswitch that disconnects it from the battery. I have flashed the EC several times with updates without resetting it without any issues. What is the purpose of the switch and how should it be used?

4) The EC firmware downloadable from the MSI website is byte-for-byte included in the BIOS ROM file they supply. Why is it duplicated in the BIOS file and if you update the BIOS do you really need to update the EC as well?

5) What settings does 'Load Optimised Defaults' in the BIOS apply exactly? I hadn't spotted that my reset BIOS had maxed out on a 22x multiplier until I did that. Are these optimised defaults manually configurable with the Alt-RtCtl-Shift-F2 bios unlock?

6) What is the difference between Intel SpeedStep and Intel SpeedShift. It seems that only SpeedStep is enabled in the standard BIOS. Is it appropriate to have both enabled or just one and is it the case that SpeedShift is best?

Anyway since the repaste my temps seem to be 15-20degC cooler with a 160-120-160 undervolt, although I can honestly say I never found the temps/noise much of a problem even under extended high load.

Any expert knowledge to any or all these questions appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  4. d1xt1r

d1xt1r Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Few months ago I wrote about the issue I have with my MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF (i7-8750H, 16GB, GTX 1070).

Today I reverted to the BIOS (E16Q2IMS.111) and EC Firmware (16Q2EMS1.106) which were installed on the laptop when I bought it (I also reset the EC after the BIOS update).

Unfortunately that didn't help and the problem still persist. CPU fan is always running at 6000RPM from the moment you turn on the laptop.
    Changing fan curves, profiles, etc in Dragon Center does nothing.

I don't know if it is motherboard problem, fan problem or fan controller problem?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know what other things can I try to solve the issue?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. d1xt1r

d1xt1r Newbie

Reputations:
    Today I also tried disconnecting the CMOS battery twice for few minutes but it didn't help.
    I've also tried the "hard reset" by pressing the EC clear button for 60 seconds, but unfortunately it did not help either. :/
    CPU cooler is still in "permanent cooler boost mode" all the time, and it drives me crazy [​IMG]

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Is the fan defective? Because it should have a control wire to adjust its speed.
    Also, are you using stock EC firmware? Or modified?

7. KamilK

KamilK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello

I just read about wi fi 6 cards and got quick question is Intel AX200 compatible with MSI GS65 8rf? Currently using Intel 9260 card.

Thank you

8. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    We found they did not consistently work, so we never offered WiFi 6 on the MSI GS65 8xx. However, if it would be important to you, they are cheap enough to see if it will work on yours.

Spartan, Kevin@GenTechPC and Papusan like this.
  9. KamilK

KamilK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Donald

I can confirm it works with no issues and actually got more stable connection.

I also bought asus rt-ax88u router what support wifi 6 and can't wait for some tests.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  10. dmemon

dmemon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry.. i cannot help you with the fan issue.
    I noticed in ur image that the text on bottom of motherboard reads MS-16Q21 VER : 1.1 and mine reads MS-16Q21 VER : 1.0.
    Infact I have had a change of motherboard and the new one supposedly was imported from Taiwan and it has the same written over it i.e MS-16Q21 VER : 1.0.

I am just wondering if someone can confirm if there is actually a version update of motherboard and if so what does it change or fix?