*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. berfles

berfles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought that too at first, but without it running and set back to default my temps never hit higher than 85 so I don't know why it would throttle at all. They seemed lower without my changes. I need to benchmark with and without and not worth about a game that may have just been less demanding at the time I guess.

2. dmemon

dmemon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Try benchmark and stress tests.

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    With all settings stock, what kind of performance can your system reach to? See if you can get a comparison done and we can try to figure this out.

dmemon likes this.
  4. berfles

Reputations:
    I did a quick stress test and logged results, my average effective clock according to HWInfo as stock was 3315MHZ, and with ThrottleStep configured it was 3693MHZ. Temps didn't seem to be that different though, within a few degrees.

Which does more for temps, CPU core or CPU cache? Both of them are set to an offset of -155.3 and when I tried any more it went to a boot loop, but I'm not sure which caused it since I changed them both at the same time.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. dmemon

Reputations:
    CPU core you can Undervolt further but it is generally recommended here to set both as same.

It seems like the Undervolt is working as ur able to get higher clockspeed. Also, monitor current and Max temp in hwinfo while stressing to understand better how the temps are working.

With only Undervolt you will hit the 90C mark and throttle but the clock speed would be better than without undervolt only if ur lucky as some you will not thermal throttle and maintain high clockspeed but temps will be around 85C to 87C.

You can however set a lower clockspeed as default in Throttlestop and in that case the temps would be lower and clock speed will be stable.

Try cinebench r15 as a basic test u will see the difference in scores with and without undervolt.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  6. alin.petrariu

alin.petrariu Newbie

Reputations:
    hello everyone,

I'm a new owner of this laptop, which was love at first sight (because of the design and compact form for such a powerful machine).

The problem is now that in daily use I have lots and lots of problems (heating issues, stutter issues on external display, battery issues...) I think the main problem for me it is that the laptop sale value is pretty big, at least from my opinion, which theoretically puts it in a premium segment on paper... but the daily usage experience is similar with a very cheap laptop.

anyway, my latest problem (which somehow was solved last week but now it's driving me nuts), the Nvidia GPU status states that my RTX 2060 is inactive, but the power led is always orange...

any tips on how to solve this?

best regards,
    Alin

7. berfles

Reputations:

Yep, my score with the undervolt was about 400pts higher than stock, as seen here:

[​IMG]

dmemon likes this.
  8. dmemon

Reputations:
    So, the undervolt is working and it is allowing the higher clock be acspeed totive for longer duration.

The next step if u want better temps would be lowering boost clock speed using FIVR in Throttlestop this will allow you to restrict the highest clock speed which will allow you to get scores similar to stock and lower temps.

9. JL81

JL81 Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, so here's today's major disappointment. So I received my replacement GPU fan (actually both GPU fans in an enclosure) and extremely carefully removed the motherboard, the heatsink, removed the old GPU fan(s), inserted the replacement ones, removed old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol, applied new (Kryonaut Thermal Grizzly) on both GPU and CPU (this was my first time ever working with thermal paste), and then meticulously assembled the laptop back together. Only to discover that sure enough, that GPU fan 2 is still running at max speed as soon as the machine is turned on. Sigh.

So I disassembled the machine again, this time with the intent to (once again) extremely carefully inspect the 4-pin GPU 2 fan connector on the motherboard... and lo and behold, one of the pins is clearly missing! I can only expect that this is the "sense" pin, and this must have been the cause of the constantly running fan ever since I received the machine back from the first RMA. My suspicion at this stage is that whoever replaced the fans and heatsink when I first RMA'd it (due to the infamous "rattling fan" issue) must've damaged the pin when they connected the fan.

Having verified the broken connector I tested what I considered in my previous post: running the machine with GPU fan 2 completely disconnected. What a relief! The machine is almost completely silent on boot and under no load. The difference with what I've put up with during all this time is incredible.

So at this stage I have two questions.
    1. Is there any way at all to replace a broken pin in a 4-pin connector like this?
    2. With GPU fan 2 disconnected, what is going to happen when I put the machine under GPU load? Will it just throttle, or do I run any risk of actually damaging the GPU?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

10. berfles

Reputations:
    So essentially a lower top end but more consistent speeds... interesting.

Also, as far as I know ThrottleStop doesn't need to be running for the config to be active judging by the fact that when i pushed it too far it got put in a reboot loop, correct? I have it set to save immediately.