*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Check task manager and examine what processes are using the most of your resources, especially processor.

2. Shoehorn

Shoehorn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Coil whine comes from the VRM. If it's only doing it at idle or light load, try changing your undervolt value.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Daedalus1116

Daedalus1116 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm having the exact same issue. Have you found any solution yet?

4. JL81

JL81 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, that was interesting to hear. I actually recently ordered a replacement fan from aliexpress but it hasn’t arrived yet. I have opened the laptop and carefully removed the motherboard as I wanted to inspect the fan connector, since I’ve been suspecting that one of the pins in the connector would have been faulty or not properly inserted, thereby causing it to always run at 100%, but I could see no such thing. I disconnected and reconnected the fan and the issue remains.
    My fear is that the replacement fan behaves the same and that the error is in the connector on the motherboard itself, in which case I’ll consider just disconnecting and removing the fan altogether in order to be able to use the laptop for office work and maybe some light gaming. I have no idea how/if more demanding gaming would work with GPU fan #2 removed altogether - will it throttle the GPU when temps rise or would I risk damaging it?
    Anyway I’ll be sure to report my findings when the replacement fan arrives.

5. berfles

berfles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I started looking into undervolting and downloaded ThorttleStop. Also found out apparently turbo wasn't being activated all this time even though I have it plugged in and set to best performance, so I fixed that too.

Anyway, I have the CPU and CPU cache both set to -155.3mV, how do I tell the difference it's actually making? What's a good app to run to test before and after?

EDIT: I downloaded HWInfo and ran it while I played a game with ThrottleStop turned "on", then turned "off" ThrottleStop and closed it completely and started playing a game to compare peak temps, speeds, and voltages. Doesn't seem to be a difference in any of them, so are my changes not taking or something? I think they are because I went too far before and the laptop went into a boot loop and I had to delete the .ini file and start again.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  6. dmemon

dmemon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Once you apply the undervolt it stays unless you restart the pc(sometimes until several restarts) if you do not have throttlestop auto scheduled or you could manually reset the undervolt or setup a throttle stop profile without the undervolt for easy switching.

I am not sure what change do the turn on and off option make but they do not effect the applied undervolt.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  7. berfles

berfles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From what I read, turning it on and off only affects clockspeeds and stuff like that.

Either way, I see zero difference between ThrottleStop being set up and everything set back to default. Actually, if anything, it runs cooler with things back to default, though my clockspeed doesn't seem as high. I don't get it.

8. dmemon

Reputations:
    So, if my understanding is correct with Undervolt you are not getting better temps but higher clockspeed. If so this means the Undervolt is working.

Basically the laptop thermal management with stock Undervolt will decrease clockspeed (thermal throttle) it reaches 90C on any core to prevent high temps. This decreases performance and means that the temps would have gone above 90C if CPU was allowed to run at higher speed.

With Undervolt ur temps are actually lowered but u don't notice it as the clockspeeds don't lower so the CPU is able to sustain higher clockspeed with the same temp as stock.

I hope this helps you to understand.

The next step u can attempt to lower temp is repaste the laptop.

9. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @dmemon might be able to get you a new motherboard if you go to India

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

dmemon likes this.
  10. dmemon

Reputations:
    Haha.. sure.. if u can handle long wait, stupid reasons for ur problem, no replies to email and adding more paste to old paste when u ask Msi service centre to repaste..!