*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will report back. But I ordered from China, so shipping days possibly as soon as 1st week of March to end of March.

Thanks for the updated Fan Speeds (my results were from (08/2018)).

Try one more thing, if I close the lid, my fan speeds go up another 100 to 200 RPMs, could you double check if this is the same for you. @mickey j

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

2. HonkiBompi

HonkiBompi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @xLima
    I actually did buy Kryonaut and have been using it for a week now. It's fairly similar to freshly applied MakerGel at lower temps but worst than it at higher temps. MakerGel allowing me to stay at around 83C while benching but Kryonaut going as high as 90C. I know Kryonaut is supposed to have higher thermal conductance but I'm just not seeing it myself after two repastes with it. Also the one week non-benching period for MakerGel didn't work for me as around a month later temps started rising again. Starting to wonder if I should go back to MX4 or just deal with repasting with MakerGel every month.

3. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah 1-week curing for me made no difference. I am willing to take a part every month, gives me a chance to clean out the dust and stuff that builds up.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

4. powerfull499

powerfull499 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I FINALLY got my MSI GS65 (1070 max-q) back from repair. They changed the screen because of multiple dead pixels and fixed the coil whine on my unit. I also noticed that the firmware have been updated. The fan speeds are constantly around 2700 RPM now (before it was repaired it was around 1800 RPM).

I tested Fire Strike on my unit and I got 12.420 and before the reapir I got 12520. However, my CPU does not throttle as much as before (probably because of the firmware). My physics score has improved around 200 points while the GPU has dropped 100 points. I think (and hope) the reduced score of the GPU is due to the new GPU-driver because the load is 99% all the time during the test.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  5. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Probably, my GT73 1080 scores about 200 less with recent drivers than 411.70 in last October.

6. powerfull499

Reputations:
    Thanks zipperi.

Like I said, I have just got it back from repair. It took 30 days. Now I have noticed that the Steelseries app says that my keyboard is not connected. I cannot see it in Device Manager either. The keyboard itself is working, and there is light in it, but I cannot change the lights with the app anymore - I'm afraid they forgot to reconnect something. What do you guys think?

7. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you tried uninstalling the steelseries app?
    This is what i'd do.

-Download latest steelseries app
    -GO into airplane mode
    -Uninstall the app
    -Run CCleaner (cleaner and registry) until nothing shows up
    -Restart
    -Run steelseries installer
    -Restart

8. powerfull499

Reputations:
    ^ Thank you for your suggestion. It did not work. Does anybody know how the keyboard of the MSI GS65 is connected to the motherboard? As I mentioned, I have lights in my keyboard, and I can type on it, but I cannot change the colors/etc. with the Steelseries app like I could before. An explanation may be that they forgot to connect a part of the keyboard :/ :(?

Before I will send it back, I want to rule out that it can somehow be software related, and that is why I'm asking you guys :).

9. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's unfortunate.

This should help you do teardown the laptop and find the right ribbon cable.

10. powerfull499

Reputations:
    Even though I tried to reinstall the driver countless ways (including the official guide from MSI) I could not get it to work. However, - it works now after a clean install of Windows. I have no idea what caused it, but I'm happy that I don't have to send it in for repair again! :D