*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @hackness
    Do you know if there’s a power and thermal savings by undervolting the iGPU?
    Personally, I have it at -50mV (iGPU and “Unslice”) but haven’t tried undervolting it further.
    If it somehow lowers CPU temps when playing games with the dGPU, I’ll start testing a deeper undervolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it's cash, I'd do it. I sold my similarly config'd unit for about that locally to a friend.

I am not sure you are going to see a big jump going from that model to the 2060 - but if it's worth $854 to you, go for it.

3. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you undervolt the iGPU, the difference is huge for maximum performance mode with 100% GPU usage, but for low iGPU usage, the difference is small but still helps.
    But in battery saving mode, the difference is very small.

I'm using -125mV on mine, actually you can down to -165mV, but further may cause freezing.

See table below for No undervolt vs voltage offset -125mV on the iGPU:

iGPU no undervolt vs undervolted.PNG

Balanced mode is just choosing between 350Mhz and Turbo multiplier based on iGPU usage so it's just jumping between 350Mhz and 1100Mhz.

About lowering the temperature during a game, probably not so much as the iGPU usage isn't really that much when you are using the dGPU.

JRey likes this.
  4. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anybody know what temperatures the points you can adjust the fan speed % represent?

SimplyJ3sse likes this.
  5. sleepysnake

sleepysnake Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got a GS65 1070 yesterday. Trouble is it has a strange form of backlight bleed in the upper left corner. The shop have no more stock of the laptop so exchange is not an option. It was bought with a (6.5% discount) gift card, so I'm tied into the store. My only option is a 10% refund (back to the gift card) or spending more on a Razer Blade 1070 or the GS65 2060 edition at around 20% more cost to me. £1495 (GS65 1070) vs £1900 (Blade), £1950 (GS65 2060).

Not sure what to do yet. Otherwise I love the laptop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  6. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    https://www.theeverydayenthusiast.com/home/review-msi-gs65

Scroll down. You’ll see my chart for fan speed and temp points in Silent Option.

7. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks! :) I'd like to know why MSI don't put in actual temperature values instead of a colour scale lol

Is there any way to change the colour of the keys that light up when you press the Fn key? Or which light up?
    Also is the keyboard brightness not changing when you press Fn + keyboard brightness modifier keys?

They didn't do a good job with lighting up the whole keys like the Function keys etc or anything not centred on the LEDs

Did other GS65 users get a driver causes instability on Windows and that the driver will be disabled message when updating to 1809?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  8. Divinated

Divinated Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    JRey likes this.
  9. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can’t change the color of the keys when and is pressed. Also, only keys usable with Fn are lit.
    To change keyboard brightness, it’s Fn+ PGUP/PGDN
    I haven’t seen any driver issues when updating. But I also update drivers anyway when they’re available so maybe I’m dodging bullets.

10. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just confirmed with Unwinder about changing the visible voltage range for MSI afterburner's V/F Curve Editor.

Go to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner

Look for MSIAfterburner.cfg

Copy to desktop

Open the copied MSIAfterburner.cfg

Look for the section in the picture below, do the change, save it and replace the original MSIAfterburner.cfg with the modified one.

Change VF curve editor minimum visible voltage.png

BigChic and JRey like this.