*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    We are here to have our ramblings and help each other. If you want my advise, I would suggest the GE75. I have no enough data for the RTX2060, but I often see it being compared with the 1070MQ and that is never good. I suspect it can be both faster in some ways and yet slower in others compared to the regular 1070.

Go higher ;) plus the GE75 is also thin (compared to my monster GT73) while still offering good thermals and all.

2. AWholeHam

AWholeHam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Perhaps I will swing by the local memory express on the way home today and see what it’s like if they have one.

Would you bother with the 2080 over the 2070? It’s like a $800 price jump for me. Pretty nasty for what I imagine is very minimal performance gains that OCing could make up for.

I’d probably repaste the GE75 with LM too. I didn’t want to do it on my 65 because of the awkward layout.

hmscott likes this.
  3. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I personally find the 2070 useless, but that's because I have a GTX1080. I suspect the highest OCd 2070 will reach a stock 2080, while the 2080 can still go further, near a 1080ti.

but for an 800dlrs premium over the 2070, yikes. I would probably stomach it if it were 400dlrs tops.

The 2070 is just as capable as my GTX1080, so its still fantastic, and should be a bit better in higher res.

katalin_2003, hmscott and AWholeHam like this.
  4. AWholeHam

AWholeHam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ah hell, I’m gonna go pick one up tonight to test. They also have a very open ended return policy.

My credit card provider will think I’ve gone crazy...

JRey likes this.
  5. mickey j

mickey j Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well @hmscott We think alike, read on. I tested my system with no undervolt and with undervolt by closing the lid and letting it sleep for 30 minutes. In both cases, opening the lid woke the computer. Next I turned off undervolt, shut the lid and left it for about 2 hours. I had the "turn off HDD..." in power settings set to 1 hour. When I got back, opened it up, wiggled the touchpad and it woke up. Next I turned the undervolt back on. Set the "Turn off HDD..." to 13 minutes, shut the lid, had lunch, came back in about a half hour and opened it and it woke up. Ugh, could not replicate the problem. I do know the not waking without doing a hard shutdown has only happened twice and both times after I left it idle for longer than 30 minutes. So this tells me that sleep and turning of HDD in power settings alone are not the cause. Something else must be happening when I let it sit in sleep mode for a long time. I do believe the undervolt is a contributing factor since I did leave it for 2 hours and it woke woke without an undervolt. So up next I am disabling all "turn off ...to save power settings" in device manager. I just did this before I read your post @hmscott, hence we think alike. I also set turn of HDD in power settings to 1 hour. Leaving my undervolt active, I'm going to close the lid and wait 2 hours. If it freezes again, I'm going to change turn off hdd in power settings to never. However, I don't believe that is the problem but I need to be sure. Leaving it sleeping for a long period, more than 1 hour is causing something, I may have fixed it by the device manager settings. If it does not freeze after this test, I'm done testing, no need to beat a dead horse, if it does freeze, I'll try the hdd to never option.

hmscott and ryzeki like this.
  6. sjaustad

sjaustad Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm trying to replace my keyboard on my GS65, but I can't seem to find the right part. All of the parts on eBay like this one have two ribbon cables, including a smaller one in the middle. Mine only has one ribbon cable and then a little FPC connector in the bottom left, does anyone know what's going on and if there's just two different models of keyboard for the GS65?

Visit my reddit post for more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/MSILaptops/comments/anhkls/gs65_stealth_keyboard_replacementparts_question/

7. mickey j

mickey j Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After trying different setups to try and get my computer to freeze after sleep as it has done twice, the results are in. The undervolt was NOT the cause. After disabling ALL options in device manager that say, "allow this device to shut off to save power" the freeze after a lengthy sleep went away. Don't have the time or desire to narrow it down to exactly which device was causing it. I do believe the undervolt contributes meaning a the combination of a device shutting down and the undervolt was the cause.I'm no expert in the electronics of these systems but my guess is a device such as the touchpad was shutting down to save power during sleep and due to the undervolt when I opened the system not enough voltage was available to re-power that device or something like that. Someday I may narrow it down to exactly which setting was causing it but it takes me 2 hours each time (to keep testing consistent) and there are a lot of devices to check. Anyway, if anyone has this problem, now you know how to stop it

ryzeki likes this.
  8. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    This is the correct cable:

Attached Files:

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  9. sjaustad

sjaustad Newbie

Reputations:
    I am aware of what the cable is supposed to be, but the connector that the cable goes to on my keyboard broke, so I need a new keyboard that has that specific connector.

10. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.