*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. mickey j

mickey j Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those who have followed and replied to my posts, I'm talkin to you @xLima o_O, you already know I've been on an under volt mission and reached the limits with temps still too high. I debated sending out for repair but decided to do a re-paste myself. I am now done. I was meticulous and extremely careful opening that thing up. I'm actually on my old laptop right now, I'm afraid to plug in and start the MSI ;) (i will shortly). Anyway, cross your fingers!!! I hope I solved the problem (which was highly variable temps on different cores under load, like 15C difference). So, while I had it open I took some shots of the paste job in case anyone was curious, I'll update you once I work up the nerve to plug in the stealth. IMG_20190111_140143049-zoom.jpg IMG_20190111_140148506-zoom.jpg IMG_20190111_140156984-zoom.jpg IMG_20190111_140204792-zoom.jpg

2. mickey j

Reputations:
    ^^^As you can see, the paste job on the cpu was crap! It was also hardening while the gpu was still soft

3. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did the paste reach the thermal pads? I see that they are grayish.

Also do not get scared computer will not boot if you do not plug it in.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

4. mickey j

Reputations:
    Yes it did, I left them alone.

5. mickey j

Reputations:
    I am now typing on my Stealth, so Success as far as not killing it. After bootup and regular fans running (30% and silent) my temps are 35C. Time for a stress test. Gonna start with the XTU test for 10 minutes, full fans.

6. xLima

Reputations:
    This is with ARTIC4?

7. mickey j

Reputations:
    OK, ran my stress tests and benchmarks with mixed results. BTW, I used Artic Silver 5 for pasting, why? because its what I already had.

XTU- no throttling running full fans. Top temp 80
    AIDA-throttled, but less than before. Still experiencing every other core running way hotter than the others, ie, 1,3,5 (scratching my head on this). However "cpu throttling max" was 26% after undervolt but before paste. Its now 9%
    -^^^both of these ran 10 minutes
    -My cpu under volt is -.170, so far no problems and I just ran a bunch of tests back to back to back.
    -My GPU under volt is -.04, again no problems. I just guessed on this number.
    Throttlestop TS bench- no errors on all 3 tests and no throttling but came close, can't remember. Also, for the first time, I just opened "limits" and have no warnings or errors.

Using 3dMark to test GPU running the timespy benchmark keeping in mind I have the 1060
    -I believe I ran my first test after some under volting but before the paste. My score: 3813
    -I ran several more tests, my best overall score included running in performance mode in dragon center, with full fans on and overclocked at core gpu at 65 mHz and Vram at 130mHz which is about 1/3 of the limits. Score: 4018. Note that even though this was my best overall score, I got a higher cpu score at a lower overclock.
    No throttling or graphics problems although I think I was getting close to screen problems. I did throttle when fans were not on full but very briefly.

I have screenshots of a lot of these results if anyone is interested.
    I don't think my results are as good as others but good enough for me, just wish I knew why 3 cores run so much hotter than the other 3. I hope my cpu isn't bad.

Please chime in on what you think of my results and any advice you have, etc. I'm here to learn

I'm done for now with this type of stuff. Time to go through services and apps and settings and kill all the crap or unnecessary stuff. I've done a little, much more to go. Also need to install some programs.

Last thought is a question. Does anybody know if the MSI backup program will save all my settings as they are right now or does it save a factory version? I'll run a full image backup anyway but was curious. Peace!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The problem with Artic Silver 5, is that it takes several hours for the paste to reach its optimal state, you have a significant cure time unlike pastes like gelid Extreme or Kryonaut. And in my own experience, I have more trouble correctly applying AS5 compared to Kryonaut where I just have to put a pea in the middle.

9. xLima

Reputations:
    It saves to a factory reset state. So no, your current setup will not be saved. You can try macrium reflect to make a backup.

Post Firestrike score.

10. HonkiBompi

HonkiBompi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's been exactly a week since my CM MasterGel Maker Nano repaste and I've already seen my maximum temps go up by 2-3 C in the same room, same ambient temperature, with the same fan settings, running the same tests. I'm not quite sure if this is part of the "settling in" period of the paste but I might have to look for a different option at this rate.