*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's not just a simple proportional rule,...mobile MAX-Q architecture have software and hardware tailored for reducing the consumption (cherrypicked efficient components etc.) so just doing a thumb rule won't be enough to reject their claim.

And a 1070 max Q is faster (by more than 3%) than a 980 in 3D mark and the GX531 with max Q on Notebookcheck is faster than the 980 on all games (yes maybe with better drivers I didn't check but older games are still faster on the maxQ). So I don't need to go further to reject Nvidia's previous claim that the 1070 max Q is faster than the 980 : it simply is ;).

For the 1080 vs 2080 max-Q time will tell (and we will not have to wait for too long).
    If we compare the 1080 maxQ to the desktop 1080, I don't see why the 2080 max-Q will not be faster than a 1080, the jump to Turing will bridge the gap, I'm confident but it's good to not be naive and eat every marketing slide you see, I just think here they're not wrong.

JRey likes this.
  2. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The problem will not be Nvidia thermals...it's intel, always Intel that messes up my thermals.

Seriously they should go with a i5 4c/8t + 2080 max Q.

The 2080 max-Q will most definitely need mroe cooling than a 1070 max Q but I sure hope they worked on the CPU thermals !

The gs75 might be interesting, it will have the form factor of a normal 15.6" thanks to the new bezels but with a big gorgeous screen and improved thermals.

franzerich likes this.
  3. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does the GS75 have an IPS panel?

Edit: Nvm it does have

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  4. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not rejecting the claims. I never said that 1070 Max-Q isn't faster than desktop 980. I never said that 2080 Max-Q won't be faster than desktop 1080. I said that given the power available, 2080 Max-Q will be significantly cut down from the desktop version and that it will be only marginally faster than desktop 1080 as a consequence. This is borne out by the data published by notebookcheck.

I haven't been saying their claims are wrong. I've been saying that their claims are misleading about how much faster 2080 Max-Q will be.

hmscott likes this.
  5. TomoPrime

TomoPrime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe so. It also has a full sized keyboard with numpad. The larger trackpad is glass too.

6. mickey j

mickey j Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    HELP!!!!

OK, back to the current release again. I'm to the point of tweaking windows 10 (i have done very little) and I decided to get into event viewer before I did too much and see what is going on and to my surprise, just doing a startup or a restart causes all my cores to throttle and be limited by system firmware. Not sure why this this is happening, my machine is cool. Also, all the sudden my fans are kicking in a lot more too. They kick into high for no apparent reason other than some windows processes hogging the cpu, usually only lasts a minute or two but not sure why any windows process would need to use that much cpu power. I'm not sure what to do??? Anyone else encounter these problems. Another problem i had was i did a registry search for a key and while searching my fans kicked in and windows hogged my cpu to the point of my touch pad becoming unresponsive. Any ideas people? Seems like a windows problem more than a cpu problem. Ugh, things were going so good. Here's a screenshot of my event viewer, this is the case at every start or restart Capture.PNG

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You can follow what's happening in Task manager and/or Process Explorer.

8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This reviewer mentioned 20% performance gain from pascal maxq. Since source seemly nvidia I’m not 100% sure though.

hmscott likes this.
  9. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    From your link
    That would put the 2080 max q within a regular 1080, and a 2070 max q within a regular 2060... so why use a 2070 max q vs a regular 2060?! At least this does mean that you get 1080 performance on thin machines, I guess.

Spartan and hmscott like this.
  10. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Format your laptop bro

NBR Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide
    Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)
    O&O ShutUp10 - Do not use Windows 10 without it!
    Macrium Reflect Installation/Usage Guide
    The best and fastest way to backup your data!