*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. powerfull499

powerfull499 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had the exact same dilemma. I have waited around a year for the 2000 series, and I thought it would be released in spring/autumn, but as you know, it didn't. After seeing the performance of current hardware I decided to buy now (I got my MSI GS65 a week ago). With the 1070 max-q you can get a high framerate in all new games. The 2000-series will probably be released next year but you might have to wait months before an attractive model will be released. And the new GPU's will probably include RTX, but is RTX really worth it? You might as well wait another generation before the games will take advantage of it anyway.

However, if you can wait and you do not need a computer that much, then you can just wait of course! But you can wait forever because by the time the new graphics cards are released, a new CPU will be just around the corner.. :p

hmscott likes this.
  2. bartek82

bartek82 Newbie

Reputations:
    I own a GS65 for a month now. I pretty happy with it - game performance is outstanding. I have few questions though. I didn't go through 287 pages yet.
    1) On start up the fan is running at full speed until dragon center is loaded. Is it normal? is there some settings to be changed. It lasts only for a few sec. Still, for a high end laptop it is a weird behavior.
    2) The battery charges up to 100%. I read somewhere it should reach 95% and then stop - this is to prolong battery's life. - is it something I can change in settings?
    3) If I perform a clean install of windows from usb drive - the MSI recovery is still available? What is a difference between full windows reset and a clean install?
    Thanks in advance

hmscott likes this.
  3. dmemon

dmemon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) it happens with mine too.. i believe there is quite a good amount of CPU usage with windows loading that ramp ups the temp for a short time.

4. Scarn

Scarn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After repasting with coolermaster mastergel I got these temp-results. It is more stable at a lower temperature after repaste, but I still hit above 90c sometimes, and xtu is having a disco party with thermal and power limit throttling. I also cranked up the fanspeed in dragoncenter and im annoyed with a high pitched sound coming from the fan. Is this also a problem for some unlucky ones or is this how it is with all of these laptops?

Edit: i was using the cpu-stresstest in xtu when i took a scrnshot of the temps.

Attached Files:

5. vdroid1211

vdroid1211 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What kind of load are those temperatures for?
    I had that disco party with thermal and power limit throttling too.
    This was with -0.150 undervolt and custom fans.

I am guessing your 3dmark firestrike score is that great either?
    14100 after cold boot and around 1700-14000 after repeated tests?

Edit: But again, hitting 90+ *sometimes* is fine. unless its too frequent, for me it was too frequent, simple unzip or browsing on charger would push my laptop beyond 85 and XTU would start having its party.

I simple went for an exchange.
    The exchanged laptop has much better thermals.

Thanks,
    Vikas Singh

6. vdroid1211

Reputations:
    How do you guys make the undervolt settings stick??

XTU loses its settings after every reboot or sleep.
    I simply re apply it every time, it has become annoying though.

What's to be done for throttlestop to retain its undervolt settings?
    If I read correctly, Throttlestop applies undervolt only while its running,
    XTU Applies in registry ?

how do I go about with throttle stop?

Thanks,
    Vikas Singh

7. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They don't, and that's a good thing. You don't want bad settings to stick across reboot attempts.

I use a scheduled tasks which starts ThrottleStop at any user login which I'm pretty sure I cribbed straight from the ThrottleStop Guide. ThrottleStop itself is configured to load my settings at startup. A similar task could be used for starting XTU if that's your preference.

8. vdroid1211

Reputations:
    Could you link to that guide please?

Thanks
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

9. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The ThrottleStop Guide

10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    That's probably because you have the Dragon Center installed. Every time you reboot, Dragon Center resets any changes you made for overclocking or even the VR Current Limits. That's why I never install the Dragon Center because for me i9-8950HK, the default VR Current Limit of 144A is not enough to hold the stock clock speed so I need to increase that to 200A but Dragon Center keeps resetting it back to the default upon every reboot so I never install that piece of crap app anymore.

The BIOS has the Watchdog Timer enabled by default so any wrong overclocking settings you do and it will automatically reset them back to default in case of multiple boot failures so you're still safe.

Arondel likes this.