*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Even if bios has PROCHOT set to 90 C, can the OEM put in other throttling algorithms that enter before this temperature(who override set PROCHOT temp). Have seen other cripple it this way and throttling start way before. Awful seing how they destroy notebooks this way. BGA is very bad in it's self but crippled firmware on top like this make it even worse. If this is possible:no:

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes the EC can force anything it wants!

3. Lazorous

Lazorous Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, but excuse my lack of knowledge, what's PROCHOT? can I change this?

I've tried undervolt to -150ms so far and it seems to improve the FPS performance when playing on the laptop screen. still getting thermal throttle but the FPS is much higher and more stable around 130 to 140. I'm going to try undervolting a bit more to see if it helps.

As for repaste, since is this brand new laptop I'm not entirely comfortable opening it and potentially void the warranty. I'm going to contact either the shop or MSI to see if they would let me swap a new machine. I paid $AUD3000 for this laptop and I expect it to work just out of box without much issue since it's marketed as a performance gaming machine.

Also the machine does get hot especially the bottom, feels like 50 to 60 degrees celsius or more. I have a laptop stand which the machine sits with mesh wire for ventilation so it's not flat on the desk, still it gets quite hot.

I read that maybe turning off turbo boost will reduce heat further but I don't feel I should wear the sub performance for a laptop costing this much.

4. Lazorous

Reputations:
    Viewing angle top and bottom seem fine not much colour distortion.

5. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd love for you to outline any non-BGA alternatives that are around 4lbs. with similar performance?

6. Skylake_

Skylake_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LOL sorry guy, I didn't notice this. So Gigabyte sent a "better" (?) panel to reviewers (LG) but solds it with other panels like an year ago with Aero 15.

Are we sure that the GS65 is manufactured with the AUO panel only?

This is interesting because we could pick up the Pantone color profile from an Aero 15X :)

Von Sohn likes this.
  7. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  8. Lazorous

Reputations:
    Thank you for the info, I think I have the single channel, but according to Dave 2D this laptop is difficult to get into. I'm going to contact MSI and see if they can tell me exactly what I have and what options I have to upgrade it.

Still, Dave 2D gets 144 FPS on a supposedly same machine, well he said he got the engineer's testing sample so they might have given him a better spec machine for review.

Having said that my friend who has Aero 15x v8, which is pretty much identical spec to this can get consistent 144hz and I believe that is also a single channel ram, but at 2666mhz rather than the 2400mhz.

9. Skylake_

Skylake_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Download and open CPU-Z, go to SPD tab and check if there's only 1 slot occupied or 2 slots. If there's only 1 slot showed as occupied and if CPU-Z is not saying "Dual Channel", you have only 1 RAM stick.

In Italy, the deliver is expected to be on May 18th 2018, so at the moment I can only watching you playing with this baby monster :D

Lazorous and hmscott like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    PROCHOT = PROCESSOR HOT.
    Control CPU Performance With ThrottleStop
    Not everyone might be interested in just keeping their CPU temperatures lower. Some people might not want the CPU performance to get affected due to these high temperatures. So, if you’re one of them, you should disable “BD PROCHOT” by unchecking the box. It basically stands for bi-directional processor hot. This might sound complicated, but we’ll let you know what that is.
    [​IMG]
    CPU is not the only component in your laptop generating all the heat. The graphics chip inside your laptop generates a good amount of heat especially during long gaming sessions. This essentially increases the overall temperature of your laptop. As a result of this, CPU temperature also goes upwards.

Intel introduced this BD PROCHOT feature, so that if another component like your graphics chip is running very hot, it would be able to send a PROCHOT signal directly to the CPU and force it to cool down by throttling. As a result, the entire laptop cools down. By disabling BD PROCHOT, your CPU will may perhaps continue running at its full speed, even if the temperatures of other components in your system are running pretty hot. All depends on if the engineers have put in other nasty sensors.
    No reason to cripple performance. Intel's specs sheets say 100C. DESIGN BEFORE FUNCTIONALITY / PERFORMANCE. Never a good solution.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Ashtrix, Mr. Fox and Vistar Shook like this.